Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Creating a clean plate while using Color Managed YRGB

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Antonis Arapostathis

Creating a clean plate while using Color Managed YRGB

PostFri May 17, 2019 5:30 am

Hi guys.

I want to save a frame of a clip I am working on to create a clean plate and remove an object. Problem is, I am using Color Managed YRGB.

When I save the frame (via Fusion´s "save image" menu item) while in plain YRGB mode, there is no problem. I import it back and it looks the same. When I do it with Color Management activated, there is a color shift. I guess there is a double transformation happening or something.

Thing is, I couldn´t find an adequate reverse transformation (via Fusion´s Color Space Transform Node for example).

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Joe Laffey

Re: Creating a clean plate while using Color Managed YRGB

PostMon May 20, 2019 4:15 pm

When I need a clean plate a lot of the time I will just use a Time Stretcher tool set to a single frame as my base. That way you don’t have to save anything out.

Of course it I am able I will also use Frame Average to blend a few frames (upstream of that Time Stretcher) to reduce the noise (added later), as any noise in the clean plate itself would not move. A quick way to blend just two frames is to set the Time Stretcher to halfway between to frames with blend mode turned on (e.g. 7.5 blends frames 7 and 8). This is good when you are being quick and lazy about the noise, as it is better than nothing when you forget to do something about it later... :D

Of course this is not helpful if you planned on editing the plate in something other than Fusion, like Photoshop.

Return to Fusion