Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Memory Requirements for Fusion Studio 16

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

cflannigan

Memory Requirements for Fusion Studio 16

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 12:10 am

Hi,

I'm building an editing PC and I have a question about RAM requirements for editing footage captured on the BMPCC 4K in Fusion Studio 16. I'm getting a x570 motherboard that can take up to 128GB of RAM and I would like to future proof it for the next few years. I plan to work in 4k. I have found a 128gb kit at speed 2666mhz from corsair. Is this too much RAM for my needs and would I be better with 64gb kit at a faster speed?

Stefan Kirste

Re: Memory Requirements for Fusion Studio 16

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 9:04 am

go for 64GB it is enough for chaching , but the most MB only supports 2666mhz. For faster ram, u need to check your MB specs.

Enrico Perei

PostSun Jul 21, 2019 1:14 am

If you want to future proof, especially for VFX work with Fusion, not "just" editing, you should expect 6k footage also coming your way and in general heavy usage of RAM.
So the more your budget allows for, the better.

If you're expecting to or are doing VR or stereoscopic 3D or both (yeah, lots of VR currently is monoscopic to save bandwidth/storage) expect more RAM usage as well.

As was said, 64 is a good starting point.
The RAM speed obviously is also important but considering that most often it's your network speed or render calculations that slow you down, the RAM speed impact is not as big except for RT playback from RAM.

Chad Capeland

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 5:48 am

Enrico Perei wrote:the RAM speed impact is not as big except for RT playback from RAM.

Quad channel DDR4 should get you around 60GB/s. That's enough for 8K at >200fps. But 64GB would mean you couldn't even have 1 second cached.

Memory capacity is one of the big reasons for moving to platforms that support ECC. There's some logic behind getting low end Xeon or EPYC workstations just so you can have 16x32GB memory.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

JRosello

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 7:52 am

Take in mind also the kind of CPU you will use, some can only handle 64Gb besides the Motherboard specs, AMD 3900X can only use 64Gb for example.
May be you need a Intel i9 or Xeon Platform.
Also for AMD the sweet spot for ram speeds is 3000-3200.

Return to Fusion