Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Remove Noise and Add Back Noise Workflow

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

thomascheng

Remove Noise and Add Back Noise Workflow

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 4:44 am

Hi,

In Nuke, I normally denoise my footage, comp, and then add back the original noise. This generally requires a minus operation of the original plate and the denoise plate, then a plus operation to add the noise back on top after comping.

I'm trying to do the same in Fusion by using the Boolean Subtract operation, and then the Boolean Add operation for my noise.

However, that doesn't bring my noise level back to the original noise. It seems fainter and doesn't seem to be the correct add. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

thomascheng

Re: Remove Noise and Add Back Noise Workflow

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 5:12 am

Found the issue with some more testing. I needed to be in Float 16 or Float 32 to get negative color values for my operation. Otherwise, the color are clamp below 0 and that was why I couldn't get the original grain back. Now it works when I change the depth to float16 or float32, but I need to scrub the timeline to see the depth update.

Bryan Ray

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 3:33 pm

Although it sounds like you've got your immediate issue solved, I thought you might welcome another tool.

The Plate Preserver macro from Muse VFX is available from Reactor. It takes four inputs: Noisy plate, denoised plate, comp, and regrained comp. It substitutes the noisy plate anywhere a difference between the comp and denoised plate is detected.

It's not the right tool for every regrain task, of course, but it's relatively quick and easy for many of them. Just watch out for plates where the grain is very large—sometimes it leaves a seam.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

thomascheng

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 3:44 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:Although it sounds like you've got your immediate issue solved, I thought you might welcome another tool.

The Plate Preserver macro from Muse VFX is available from Reactor. It takes four inputs: Noisy plate, denoised plate, comp, and regrained comp. It substitutes the noisy plate anywhere a difference between the comp and denoised plate is detected.

It's not the right tool for every regrain task, of course, but it's relatively quick and easy for many of them. Just watch out for plates where the grain is very large—sometimes it leaves a seam.

Thanks for the pointer, it sounds like the macro is doing something similar to what I'm doing. Makes sense as a macro, it is a pretty common task for almost every single shot. Should probably be built into Fusion itself as a standard node.

Return to Fusion