video freezes

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

whcrow

video freezes

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 5:21 am

I am using Blackmagic capture cards to capture video tapes and Betacam tapes via SDI or S-Video in Media Express. However, during capture, the video freezes, breaks, and then resumes repeatedly, and eventually, the audio stops and recording fails. I am looking for a solution to this issue.

I am using two DeckLink Studio 4K cards and two DeckLink Mini Recorder 4k cards, and the same issue occurs with all of them. I have tried using Desktop Video drivers 12.8.1 and 12.7.

This issue occurs on all five computers being used. I am running Windows 11, with CPUs: Intel i5-13600k, i5-12400 and GPUs: RTX 4060ti, GTX1660super. The output is set to be saved on an external hard drive or HDD, and the same symptoms appear.

Uli Plank

Re: video freezes

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 2:07 am

First of all, do these tapes still play back without issues on an analog monitor?
If so, you'll need a TBC (time base corrector).
Without that, these analog inputs only work from stable sources, like a camera. Analog tape is inherently unstable, and a TBC is fixing that. These used to be expensive devices for professional use, but these days you can find them relatively cheap on the second-hand market.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Marc Wielage

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 2:11 am

whcrow wrote:I am using Blackmagic capture cards to capture video tapes and Betacam tapes via SDI or S-Video in Media Express. However, during capture, the video freezes, breaks, and then resumes repeatedly, and eventually, the audio stops and recording fails. I am looking for a solution to this issue.

Betacam (and BetaSP) should have an internal TBC, so the output should be fairly stable... unless you got a super-cheap industrial player which may not have the TBC. I agree with Uli that there's an art to getting old videotapes to play, and without a TBC, you're going to struggle.

With VHS, we usually tell people to get a JVC BR-S822, which was the best machine they ever made (about $10,000 back in 1992). I bought one for $250 on eBay, used it for about 10 years, and gave it away some time ago after we digitized a bunch of tapes. That assumes the VHS tapes are SP; for EP or SLP, you'll have to find one of the industrial Panasonic decks, some of which had a rudimentary TBC.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Howard Roll

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 9:53 pm

Maybe the OP is referring to Betamax. Betacam(SP) is the most stable analog tape format. I’ve never used a Betacam deck that didn’t have a frame sync and proc amp so maybe it’s the consumer Betamax format in question.

Good Luck

Return to Post Production