Equivalent of a DeckLink PCIe Monitor card for Mac

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Equivalent of a DeckLink PCIe Monitor card for Mac

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 3:28 pm

I am using the DeckLink PCIe card to connect a reference monitor to my PC. For the Mac Studio, what will be the equivalent product? I assume that if one exist it is a TB4 connection. Thanks.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Steve Fishwick

Re: Equivalent of a DeckLink PCIe Monitor card for Mac

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 3:38 pm

They're all TB3 currently, Ellory; fine with the Mac Studio. If you want 4K and HDR, then it's the Ultrastudio 4K Mini or Extreme 3. If that's not important then either the HD Mini or Monitor 3G, will work too, but obviously only in HD and Rec. 709.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 9:26 pm

Thanks Steve. So as not to waste a TB4 port, can I use a multi-dock that has a couple of TB3 ports connected to one of the TB4 ports on the Studio, and then connect the Ultrastudio in one of the TB3s?

Also, the new BM Media Player has more features and support more standards as well cheaper than the 4K mini ultra studio.

ultrastudio.PNG
ultrastudio.PNG (92.17 KiB) Viewed 752 times

ultrastudio2.PNG
ultrastudio2.PNG (51.07 KiB) Viewed 752 times

Is that what generally most colorist using the Mac Studio use in lieu of a DeckLink cards available for Intel PCIe? The DeckLink 4K Intensity card for the PC is only $235 and for me that's pretty good enough. Certainly they won't work on the Silicon architecture even with an external PCIe enclosure. Am I missing something or is BMD lacking a DeckLink model for the Mac Silicon line?
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Steve Fishwick

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Thanks Steve. So as not to waste a TB4 port, can I use a multi-dock that has a couple of TB3 ports connected to one of the TB4 ports on the Studio, and then connect the Ultrastudio in one of the TB3s?

Also, the new BM Media Player has more features and support more standards as well cheaper than the 4K mini ultra studio.

The way Thunderbolt works is, two ports to a bus; therefore with 4 ports on a Mac Studio it has 2 buses, with 2 ports each. You can daisychain off any single TB3/4 port; but each bus has a total of 40Gb/s; therefore you can saturate them quickly, if say you have a wideband i/o BMD device, plus Thunderbolt storage and even a monitor; this will still happen if you use separate ports on the same bus. However TB4 doubles the PCIe bandwidth to 32 Gbps, over 3; the TB3 Ultrastudios won't perform better; but you can share them with more devices, even 2 monitors and have faster storage too. If that all makes sense?

In practice, you can put the Ultrastudio quite comfortably, at the end of a chain - I have a HP workstation Laptop, with only 1 bus (2 ports); attached via TB3 to a docking station/power with the 4K Mini attached to that; plus a HDMI 2nd monitor; USB drives; Sound Devices MixPre II 6; and numerous ancillaries, like keyboard mouse and USB hub for dongles etc. So all that is coming through 1 port on 1 TB3 bus. No problems whatsoever even at 4K. So you're unlikely to have a problem with your Mac Studio ever and you have 2 buses with 40 GB/s each too.

The Uktrastudio 4K Mini appears to have more standards, including everything on the Media Player 10G plus 3D standards too, from what I can see. It has also has more i/o features for a traditional edit suite; whereas the 10G has more features for live multicam work plus 10G for shared storage - unless you need that, it's not necessary nor as fast and wide as local storage can be.

Ellory Yu wrote:Is that what generally most colorist using the Mac Studio use in lieu of a DeckLink cards available for Intel PCIe? The DeckLink 4K Intensity card for the PC is only $235 and for me that's pretty good enough. Certainly they won't work on the Silicon architecture even with an external PCIe enclosure. Am I missing something or is BMD lacking a DeckLink model for the Mac Silicon line?

Unfortunately Thunderbolt is the only solution for laptops and Mac Studios and Ultrastudios more expensive than similar Decklinks. The 4K Mini is much cheaper than the competition, that can used to in Avid, if that's any consolation. But yes I'm surprised there's not a simple 4K monitor model too, even though I need all the extras on mine and none of those extra again on the Extreme 3.

Hope this helps.

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 1:51 am

Ellory Yu wrote:Is that what generally most colorist using the Mac Studio use in lieu of a DeckLink cards available for Intel PCIe? The DeckLink 4K Intensity card for the PC is only $235 and for me that's pretty good enough. Certainly they won't work on the Silicon architecture even with an external PCIe enclosure. Am I missing something or is BMD lacking a DeckLink model for the Mac Silicon line?

While eGPUs definitely don't work with Apple silicon, there's anecdotal information that DeckLink cards work in an external enclosure. Ask around in this forum or in www.gpu.io to get confirmation.
Other than that, using the 3G UltraStudio is a cheap solution, as long as HD and Rec. 709 suffices. A good client monitor will upscale pretty well, and judging color for an UHD project in HD is quite OK, IMHO.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Ellory Yu

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 5:01 am

Uli Plank wrote:

While eGPUs definitely don't work with Apple silicon, there's anecdotal information that DeckLink cards work in an external enclosure. Ask around in this forum or in http://www.gpu.io to get confirmation.
Other than that, using the 3G UltraStudio is a cheap solution, as long as HD and Rec. 709 suffices. A good client monitor will upscale pretty well, and judging color for an UHD project in HD is quite OK, IMHO.

Thanks Uli. I will check that link out as I am curious if that’s possible with the Apple silicon. And yes, the 3G Ultrastudio is an option.

Return to Post Production