Question about switching grading monitor

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Louis_marino

Question about switching grading monitor

PostSun May 12, 2024 11:31 am

Hey all. I currently use a Konvision 1760D reference monitor (https://www.konvision.com/17-kvm-1760d/ ... nitor.html) for grading mostly broadcast work using a Decklink 4k. Almost all of my work is REC709, I'm not doing anything too high-end, most of my grading work is kind of on the side.

I've been slightly underwhelmed with the Konvision monitor, when I've run the calman test patterns in resolve with my xrite calibrator, the colour ranges I get in DisplayCal aren't the same as what is claimed in the specs (specs claim 98% P3, I get something like 65% P3).

Anyway, I am considering switching to an ASUS Pro Art, which a lot of people seem to swear by. The Asus is a fraction of the price of the Konvision (the 24 inch version is literally 15% of the price). I don’t really have a need for any hdr features.

Does anyone have any good / bad experiences with either of these monitors? Thank you!

Rick van den Berg

Re: Question about switching grading monitor

PostSun May 12, 2024 5:31 pm

i don't have experience with these monitors, i do have a lot of experience with Flanders. small company, but great products, great people/service.. https://www.flandersscientific.com/

ExpansiveMedia-JR

PostThu May 30, 2024 4:36 pm

Louis - I see that this is a couple weeks old...have you made a purchase yet? I had a 10 column spreadsheet going for a few weeks earlier this month to get to my final decision.

I really was leaning towards the Asus monitors, however I found too many complaints (in B&H reviews and over at r/colorists on Reddit) regarding the software for calibration being so bad, that Asus support suggested not using it at all to one buyer.

There were definitely some happy people out there, and I know that Darren Mostyn has one in his studio as the client monitor (while grading on a Flanders) -- and apparently loves it. But - the the odds seemed stacked against in terms of getting a "good one" -- their marketing is top notch, it's easy to evoke some drooling.

When in a chat with B&H support, they did not disparage the Asus, but said something like, "Eizo never lets a bad one go out the door, they are always perfect" -- and that was the final push I needed to go with one of their Color Edge monitors.

Anyway, for what it's worth!

Uli Plank

PostFri May 31, 2024 2:45 am

All good info above, and from others experiences the QC by Asus may not be that great. That said, mine is OK and I calibrated with DisplayCal (free). But may I ask why you calibrate for P3 instead of Rec 709? If you really aim for cinema, none of these is a great solution.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jun 02, 2024 12:08 am

Louis_marino wrote:Anyway, I am considering switching to an ASUS Pro Art, which a lot of people seem to swear by. The Asus is a fraction of the price of the Konvision (the 24 inch version is literally 15% of the price). I don’t really have a need for any hdr features.

If there's anything I've learned in 40+ years in post, it's "you get what you pay for."

There's also an expression America: "there's no such thing as a free lunch." Good things are rarely cheap, and vice-versa.

Some of the Asus monitors are OK, but a lot of them are just glorified computer displays. A lot depends on what specific model you're talking about. I'm not a fan of the Asus Pro-Arts -- I'm more an LG guy. Cost no object, I'd absolutely buy Flanders. In both case, you still have to have a Blackmagic color-managed display adapter and you have to calibrate the display.

I'm with Uli above: I think trying to color-correct in P3 like this is a mistake.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to Post Production