HDMI inp black signal,Decklink Studio 4K driver as for SDI4K

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Tony Hernandez

HDMI inp black signal,Decklink Studio 4K driver as for SDI4K

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi guys,
We are trying to get hdmi input from panasonic fz1000 to decklink studio 4K with no success.

We have the old Edecklink extreme 3d and it works fine capturing the signal from panny fz1000
Both Studio 4K and HD Extreme 3D configured in settings as to capture input as hdmi , and in media express as input as 1080I50.
Panasonic FZ1000 configured for output 108050I

Extreme 3D is able to preview and capture while Studio 4K not. Studio 4K remains with the black signal.
2 PC Machines used: one intel core gen 3 and other intel core 5 gen (z97)

What is very rare and what I think the problem becomes is the driver
HD EXTREME 3D OK:: DRIVERS:
Blackmagic Audio
Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme 3D
Blackmagic Decklink WDM Streaming

STUDIO 4K NOT WORKING HDMI INPUT
ON WINDOWS 7 WITH ORIGINAL CD (I THINK 10.2.2)
Blackmagic Audio
Blackmagic Design IO Driver
(no more devices on win admin devices)

STUDIO 4K NOT WORKING HDMI INPUT
ON WINDOWS 7 WITH LAST (UPDATED AS OF TODAY) DESKTOP VIDEO 10.3.4
Blackmagic Audio
Blackmagic Decklink SDI4K
Blackmagic Decklink WDM Streaming

NONE OF THE STUDIO 4K CONFIGURATIONS WORKS, NONE ARE ABLE TO INGEST HDMI INPUT EVEN AT 1080I50

IF YOU LOOK CAREFULLY YOU CAN SEE THAT WHILE EXTREME HD 3D HAS A DRIVER CALLED AS THE SAME CARD (Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme 3D), THE STUDIO 4K NOT, AS THE DECKLINK STUDIO 4K HAVE A DRIVER (ON LAST UPDATED DRIVERS AS OF TODAY) LISTED AS THE SDI4K (Blackmagic Decklink SDI4K) SO AS THE OTHER 4K MODEL THAT DOES NOT HAVE HDMI INPUT

Can anyone tell me your configuration and if you are able to capture HDMI at any resolution from windows 7 from Decklink Studio 4K ?
Admin or technical people at BMD

NOTE: Im Alejandro, using the account of Tony here at my right side)

UPDATE, AS OF 20150221
Blackmagic cards 2014-2015 (at least Studio 4K) does not capture videa using HDMI input port from at least the following cameras

Panasonic FZ1000
Sony FDR-AX100
Panasonic X1000
Sony A7S
GH4

Able to HDMI capture from
Blackmagic Pocket camera

Horrible !!
Last edited by Tony Hernandez on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: HDMI inp black signal,Decklink Studio 4K driver as for S

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 9:41 pm

All the capture devices use the same drivers although some of them aren't accessible due to the limitations on the device itself. Have you tried using another source for both of the products to see if it's just some sort of handshake that might be different between them?
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Tony Hernandez

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Hi I dont have any other source, but the one I used, FZ1000 works on Extreme 3D and not on Studio 4K, same cable, same settings.. on 2 same diifferent computers..
"All the capture devices use the same drivers although some of them aren't accessible due to the limitations on the device itself." But Does this matters ? why ?

Why the device manager tell that there are a device called "Blackmagic Decklink SDI4K" and some versions ago the same was called "Blackmagic Design IO Driver" ?

WHy no signal, no signal with media express, no signal via ffmpeg, no signal with any other capture way, where on no signal I mean i get a black screen or similar but not the hdmi output of the camera, that works on hd extreme 3d with 1080i50 and 1080p50 also checked a few minutes ago. Why not in Decklink studio 4K ?

Can you check in one of your Decklink Studio 4K cards the hdmi input ? and tell me what the names appear on windows device manager ?

Thank you Tony

Tony Hernandez

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 10:38 pm

Now with 10.1.1 device listed as "Blackmagic Design IO Driver" if I run a CMD with:
"ffmpeg -list_devices true -f dshow -i dummy"
I get both DirectShow devices listed (DeckLink Video Capture and .. DeckLink Audio Capture" but not the WMV .. capture device I remember on hd extreme.. I dont know if this matters or note simply I note, I think it will be best if you or someone else can check with a card, with Decklink Studio 4K and not any other model, the input and good signal of hdmi input port and the device names listed on windows device manager.

Thanks

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 11:12 pm

I've tested both cards with a 1080i50 signal and there was no trouble. I believe this may require you contacting support directly. You can find your regions office information on the company tab of our websites main page.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Tony Hernandez

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 11:20 pm

Thank you, I'd contacted emea-support some hours ago linking to this post.
Can you tell me the names that appear on device manager under windows for Decklink Studio 4K for yout working test ?
What driver number-version you're using ?
Have you get the video signal using hdmi input (not sdi) ?
What source ? 50I 422 420 ?

Please reply as much as answers you know / you can

thanks

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 12:44 am

The lab techs are currently running tests so I'm unable to get back on there to give you the specifics unfortunately. I do know that the computers are running on the newest Desktop Video release and when I had each individual DeckLink card installed, I plugged the HDMI source into it and tested the 1080i50 you mentioned as well as 1080i59.94.

As a side note, you may also want to call into support at your earliest convenience and notify them you also emailed in.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Tony Hernandez

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 1:13 am

"The lab techs are currently running tests so I'm unable to get back on there to give you the specifics"
Thank you for your efforts
I can wait, while waiting response from support, in the meanwhile, can you advice when the lab techs release the decklink studio 4K card, please check that it is the decklink studio 4k and not the extreme 4k, then give me the names that appears on windoes device manager, and tell me what source you had connected to the hdmi input (model and name please).

thank you Tony

Tony Hernandez

Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K &new cards not capture HDMI on

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 1:34 pm

Hello, I open this post in order to tell you guys that Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K it is not able to get a valid video signal from Panasonic FZ1000, where on older cards like the Decklink HD Extreme 3D+ it is able.

Can you guys explain why ? and try to fix ? I want to help you
Why it does not work with say the panasonic FZ1000 but it works with say Blackmagic pocket camera. Why new decklink cards not but older not inproduction cards yes (like decklink hd extreme)

I've been on the Lab of BMD distributor here in Spain, great guys, they connect the FZ1000 camera to some monitor and we were able to check that the camera outputs video ok using HDMI at different resolutions like 1080i50, 1080p50, etc.. We tried to capture from Decklink Studio 4K using the HDMI but no works. When we connect a Blackmagic Pocket camera via hdmi the decklink studio 4k was able to get the signal, so, why on Blackmagic camera and not on Panasonic camera.

Please anyone can reply to the following questions

Does the Studio 4K is only able to capture HDMI from Blackmagic cameras ?
Do you guys have checked any other camera to work properly with BM Decklink Studio 4K apart of blackmagic cameras ?

If so, are you able to implement in a short time a patch or upgrade for Decklink Studio 4K be able to get HDMI video signals from Panasoniz FZ1000 ? If new Decklink cards are not able to capture - record video from other cameras (sony a7s, canon c100, canon c300, c500, sony rx10, Fdr-ax1, Panasonic X1000), will you make an update for the drivers to allow HDMI capture from these new cameras?

Following is a link to youtube where I show in the labs how the decklink studio 4k does not capture from fz1000 while with the same cable it is able to capture from blackmagic pocket:

Tony Hernandez

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi, I went to the dealer, for our surprise the DEcklink Studio 4K is not able to get a HDMI signal from the Panasonic FZ1000 camera HDMI output. Rep also said that the other new Blackmagic cards (of this last generation) also probably does not capture.

So, whats happens ? I open another thread about this .. please follow and replies at
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31730

Gorazd Koncar

Re: Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K &new cards not capture HDM

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 9:31 pm

Hi,

The Panasonic FZ1000 and GH4 under 2.0 firmware have no stable HDMi signal when in PAL 50Hz mode. So the devices like UltraStudio 3D can capture such unstable HDMi signal just fine, but the UltraStudio 4K can not. This is because the UtraStudio 3D uses active HDMi stabilizer chipset and the
UltraStudio 4K uses pasive HDMi stabilizer chipset. If you put the Panasonic FZ1000 in AVCHD 24 Mbs mode under PAL then it has stable signal and the UltraStudio 4K shall capture the signal just fine.

The solution is that Panasonic shall release the new firmware 2.1 for the GH4 and most probably
for the FZ1000 which shall address the issue or that you buy for example the powered active Aten HDMi splitter which has the active HDMi stabilizer chipset and you connect the FZ1000 to it and one of the HDMi outputs form Aten active splitter to the UltraStudio 4K, but this is fine only for indor studio use... So for example a lot of newer HDMi 7 inch terain monitors or the latest 3000 USD 4K TV sets when connected to GH4 under PAL 50 Hz does not show the signal but the 5 years old HDMi cheapest computer monitors or 5 years old LCD TV sets shows such HDMi picture just fine...
This is because older equipment use active HDMi stabilzer chipsets and the newest one the pasive ones including some of the latest 4K TV sets.

And the GH4 under 1.1 firmware had stable signal. The problems started with firmware 2.0 and you can not downgrade!

Please also know that Panasonic stated that they shall release the 2.1 firmware in december:

[url]http://news.panasonic.co.uk/pressreleases/panasonic-announces-the-firmware-update-program-for-lumix-dmc-gh4-and-dmw-yagh-interface-unit-featuring-upgrades-in-hdmi-sdi-output-1086168[url]

Best regards,

Gorazd.

Adam Simmons

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 10:35 pm

There's a link on one of the Panasonic pages that links to this statement

Information of firmware update service for DMC-GH4/DMW-YAGH
Dec. 18, 2014
Panasonic postponed the release of firmware update programs for the LUMIX Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) camera DMC-GH4 and the Interface Unit DMW-YAGH which were originally scheduled to be released in December of 2014 due to the need of further verification.
With the firmware for DMC-GH4, time code and recording control signal can be embedded to the HDMI output signal*. Now both FHD at 30p/25p native or at 60p/50p is selectable to output via HDMI while recording video in FHD at 30p/25p.
The Interface Unit DMW-YAGH will also be updated with the new firmware to support these functional upgrades of DMC-GH4. Plus, over 60i/50i (30PsF/25PsF) or 60p/50p is selectable for the output via SDI.
The new firmware programs are going to be released in January of 2015.
* These functions are available when DMC-GH4 or DMW-YAGH are connected with the products of ATOMOS Global Pty. Ltd. or the products complying with the extended specifications of ATOMOS Global Pty. Ltd..
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Tony Hernandez

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 8:10 pm

Gorazd Koncar wrote:Hi,

The Panasonic FZ1000 and GH4 under 2.0 firmware have no stable HDMi signal when in PAL 50Hz mode. So the devices like UltraStudio 3D can capture such unstable HDMi signal just fine, but the UltraStudio 4K can not. This is because the UtraStudio 3D uses active HDMi stabilizer chipset and the
UltraStudio 4K uses pasive HDMi stabilizer chipset. If you put the Panasonic FZ1000 in AVCHD 24 Mbs mode under PAL then it has stable signal and the UltraStudio 4K shall capture the signal just fine.

The solution is that Panasonic shall release the new firmware 2.1 for the GH4 and most probably
for the FZ1000 which shall address the issue or that you buy for example the powered active Aten HDMi splitter which has the active HDMi stabilizer chipset and you connect the FZ1000 to it and one of the HDMi outputs form Aten active splitter to the UltraStudio 4K, but this is fine only for indor studio use... So for example a lot of newer HDMi 7 inch terain monitors or the latest 3000 USD 4K TV sets when connected to GH4 under PAL 50 Hz does not show the signal but the 5 years old HDMi cheapest computer monitors or 5 years old LCD TV sets shows such HDMi picture just fine...
This is because older equipment use active HDMi stabilzer chipsets and the newest one the pasive ones including some of the latest 4K TV sets.

And the GH4 under 1.1 firmware had stable signal. The problems started with firmware 2.0 and you can not downgrade!

Please also know that Panasonic stated that they shall release the 2.1 firmware in december:

[url]http://news.panasonic.co.uk/pressreleases/panasonic-announces-the-firmware-update-program-for-lumix-dmc-gh4-and-dmw-yagh-interface-unit-featuring-upgrades-in-hdmi-sdi-output-1086168[url]

Best regards,

Gorazd.

Hey, but Im not takling about ultrastudio, here Im talking about Decklink Studio 4K

What can you said ? does it apply as ultrastudio ?, what currently available decklink model can capture 4K from cameras like FZ or FDR-AX100

Tony Hernandez

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 8:11 pm

Ok another problem with Decklink Studio 4K,
I CAN CONFIRM THAT BLACKMAGIC DECKLINK STUDIO 4K CANNOT CAPTURE HDMI SIGNAL FROM SONY FDR-AX100, NOT 1080, NOT 4K, It is unable to capture from hdmi from Panasonic FZ1000 and now from Sony FDR-AX100, but yes from Blackmagic pocket.

Whats happens ! ??
Last edited by Tony Hernandez on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Hernandez

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 8:21 pm

Hi Adam, as you can read, Im talking about decklink studio 4K and not about ultrastudio

We purchased today the sony fdr-ax100 and decklink studio 4K it is not able to capture from hdmi from this camera too. Can you tell me whats happens ?
And why decklink studio 4K work with hdmi blackmagic pocket camera but not with Panasonic fz1000 and not with fdr-ax100 ?

Adam Simmons

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 10:27 pm

I suspect there's no difference between the Ultrastudio 4K and the Decklink studio 4K. They need a stable HDMI signal which the cameras are not giving. At least Panasonic acknowledge the problem and are supposed to be fixing it in the next update. As to the Sony I can only suspect it has the same problem
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

Tony Hernandez

PostSun Jan 25, 2015 1:13 am

But hey, Whats the matters about "stable HDMI signal" or "active HDMi stabilizer chipset" if this card, the decklink studio 4K cannot capture from FZ1000 and FDR-AX100 but it is able to capture from Blackmagic Pocket ? What have the Pocket camera as special ? so, does the decklink it is only able to capture from Blackmagic cameras ?

Final question, as you told me that "UtraStudio 3D uses active HDMi stabilizer chipset and the
UltraStudio 4K uses pasive HDMi stabilizer chipset", question is, Are there any Decklink with active HDMI stabilizer chipset so able to capture from aforementioned cameras ? (decklink 4K extreme ¿?, 12G?)

Do you know if decklink studio 4k (500€) will be able to capture from other cameras via HDMI, can you list any model ?

We need to make som etest with hdmi capture at 4K from this card, and at this time, either with fz1000 and ax100 it was impossible, any ideas, any camera we can buy or rent ?

Adam Simmons

PostSun Jan 25, 2015 9:06 am

You would probably have to ask BM tech support that kind of question with regards to the kind of chips used on each card

Tony Hernandez

PostSun Jan 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:You would probably have to ask BM tech support that kind of question with regards to the kind of chips used on each card

Yep, I wrote to the support 5 days ago, linking to this thread, and still no reply

Timo Kuhmonen

PostMon Jan 26, 2015 10:51 pm

Hello from Finland...

Just registered this forum. Good that I noticed this post here finally after lot of searching.

I too did plan to purchase the DeckLink Studio 4K capture card later on this year. For me it would be good solution since it contains also analog composite video input together with HDMI / HD-SDI. I would use it together with my planned SLR camera. It would be from Nikon, assumingly it is either D4/D4s. And to connect the card with uncompressed HDMI output of Nikon @ 1920*1080.

Does anyone here on the forum have experience of DeckLink Studio 4K - HDMI input with Nikon D4 (or D4s)? By seeing this thread, I may have to postpone (?) my purchase of the card until someone has really tested it over HDMI succesfully... Any recommendations for that ?

I would also appreciate, if there posted info, how the support case proceeds on this question...

-Timo K.
HP Z420 with Eizo CG246, Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2, 32GB RAM, 2*512GB SSD RAID0, NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Genelec G Three, CA DAC-Magic Plus

sonotaco

PostMon Jan 26, 2015 11:58 pm

Hi
I am facing the same trouble. HDMI input of Decklink Studio 4K won't work.
I have tested below.
Source--Sony ILCE-7s HDMIoutput
Capture--Decklink Studio 4K
Driver--DesktopVideo_Windows_10.3.4
Formats 1920x1080/59.94p,1920x1080/59.94i,3840x2160/29.97p,3840x2160/23.98p
This combination won't work on all formats.

I also have tested SDI input of Decklink Studio 4K with using mini converter HDMI SDI 4K.
It runs well with no problem on 1920x1080/59.94p,1920x1080/59.94i.
(this combination has another unstable problem on 4K formats between camera and converter).
Also composite inputs for NTSC run well. The problem is only on HDMI input for all formats.

I am hoping this is not a hardware problem of Decklink Studio 4K,
but software problem and be fixed soon.

sonotaco

PostTue Jan 27, 2015 12:28 am

I tested 10.3.5 now.
But the problem was same.
SDI input runs well, but HDMI input does not work, as if it is protected.

Tony Hernandez

PostTue Jan 27, 2015 1:04 am

Me having the same problems, Im in contact with the support team, I just replied to one of the support members, Jen, that he asked me about what camera models have trouble with hdmi. I lnked to him this thread.

Adam Simmons

PostTue Jan 27, 2015 5:19 pm

The new GH4 firmware has now been released

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/sup ... index.html

Even Svee

PostThu Jan 29, 2015 7:14 am

Does this mean that i will have the same problem using fz1000 and intensity shuttle 3.0?

Richard Hoskins

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 3:08 pm

We have a similar issue with the Studio 4K card regarding HDMI connected from a MacBook Pro set to 1080i50 (have also tried 720p60). No frame lock at all.

An older Intensity pro in the same computer handles this fine (same Linux drivers 10.3.4).

We raised this yesterday with BM EMEA support email.

Tony Hernandez

PostSat Feb 21, 2015 10:20 am

Too BAD BMD.
Yesterdeay tried Panasonic X1000, today Sony A7S, none ok
Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K is not able to capture from those cameras via HDMI.
Whats happen Blackmagic with your cards ?? only blackmagic cameras supported ??

Timo Kuhmonen

PostSat Feb 21, 2015 2:49 pm

Timo Kuhmonen wrote:Hello from Finland...

Does anyone here on the forum have experience of DeckLink Studio 4K - HDMI input with Nikon D4 (or D4s?

Any experiences on successfull capture of this card with Nikon HDMI connection...?
HP Z420 with Eizo CG246, Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2, 32GB RAM, 2*512GB SSD RAID0, NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Genelec G Three, CA DAC-Magic Plus

Tony Hernandez

PostSun Feb 22, 2015 9:20 pm

Any news about ?
I found no info about the HDMI supposedly active/pasive stabilizer, Can anyone post more info about ?
Does the new Intensity Pro 4K have the same HDMI chipset, I mean, will be the same problems, I mean, no able to capture from almost any recent prosumer camera of those days ?
What about Decklink 4K Extreme, Uses the same hdmi as studio 4K or may this card solve the issue ?

Please reply, we are producing (pre, prototyping) some portable computers that will use blackmagic cards and want to give to the user almost no problems or issues regarding capture from their cameras and camcorders; sony, panasonic, jvc, .. we dont want to say, hey you can use hdmi only for blackmagic cameras !

Adam Simmons

PostSun Feb 22, 2015 10:22 pm

This is predominantly a user forum, if you want answers for those kind of questions you need to contact BM directly

Return to Post Production