Keyboard Shortcut for Window Outline?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dqford

Keyboard Shortcut for Window Outline?

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 12:56 am

Is there a shortcut key for Show/Hide On-Screen Window Controls? You know, the window outline that you use for power windows.

I come across this problem often when using power windows. I want the window outlines on at first, but then I want to remove them with a keyboard shortcut. Instead, I have to go to the menu, chose view, then chose one of three options under Window Outline.

It'd be so much easier if there were a keyboard shortcut. Is there?

Thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Keyboard Shortcut for Window Outline?

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 1:22 am

Try <SHIFT><COMMAND><C>. This will toggle between the 3 modes: No windows, windows on both the GUI and SDI displays, or windows on just the GUI display.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

dqford

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 2:48 am

Thanks dude!

Evelyne Theodose

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks a lot, Dwaine, it also works on Windows :D
Please let us know if you intend to add a shortcut for selecting nodes. Otherwise, we’ll have to settle with a AutoHotkey script that has limitations.

Patrick Taylor

PostSat Feb 06, 2016 8:55 pm

Why doesn't the Shift-Command-C combo work with Resolve 12? Is there a different combo that replaced it?

Craig Marshall

PostSun Feb 07, 2016 7:22 am

Evelyne Theodose wrote:...Please let us know if you intend to add a shortcut for selecting nodes. Otherwise, we’ll have to settle with a AutoHotkey script that has limitations...

Another (hardware) alternative is the affordable OxygenTec ProPanel which has next/last node buttons on the desk.

PanelDiagram_zpsfd7d358b.jpg
Oxygentec Propanel
PanelDiagram_zpsfd7d358b.jpg (65.53 KiB) Viewed 8812 times
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Marc Wielage

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 8:13 am

Patrick Taylor wrote:Why doesn't the Shift-Command-C combo work with Resolve 12? Is there a different combo that replaced it?

You can reprogram the Show/Hide Window command with the custom keyboard mapping. Me personally, I'm good with the default option-H command. Shift-H mattes out the area outside the window.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Patrick Taylor

PostMon Feb 15, 2016 11:57 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Patrick Taylor wrote:Why doesn't the Shift-Command-C combo work with Resolve 12? Is there a different combo that replaced it?

You can reprogram the Show/Hide Window command with the custom keyboard mapping. Me personally, I'm good with the default option-H command. Shift-H mattes out the area outside the window.

Heya Marc,
• So, maybe I'm dense, but how do you re-program the Show/Hide Window command? Are you talking about using third party hotkey software?
• Also, Option-H and Shift-H do nothing for me on my Mac.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Feb 17, 2016 8:56 am

It should be the default. From the manual:

You can also reprogram the Keyboard commands under the View menu with the Config menu. Note that you have to be in the Power Window mode in order for these keyboard commands to work.

Patrick Taylor

PostWed Feb 17, 2016 11:22 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:It should be the default. From the manual:

You can also reprogram the Keyboard commands under the View menu with the Config menu. Note that you have to be in the Power Window mode in order for these keyboard commands to work.

Once again, great info, Marc. Thanks a bunch!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 19, 2016 2:45 am

@Patrick: As Marc has pointed out (Thanks Marc!), in Resolve 9.0.4 the Window Outline keyboard shortcut changed from <Shift><CMD><C> to <Option><h> on Mac or <Alt><h> on Windows.

One of the perils of using very old forum data. Occasionally things change.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Patrick Taylor

PostFri Feb 19, 2016 5:11 am

Thanks Marc and Dwaine!

While we're on the subject of hotkeys - I have 2 more for you:

1) Is there a hotkey for stepping through nodes?
On the Artist Color panel there IS a key combo that does this, so I assume there is a hotkey somewhere that this is triggering. I'd like to map it to a couple of the soft keys instead.

2) Is there a hotkey for next keyframe/previous keyframe in the Tracker?
I realize those commands exist in the Tracker's drop down menu, but is there a hotkey for them somewhere?
The Tracker is a perfect candidate for operating completely with buttons/hotkeys, but if I need to use the mouse to get back to the keyframe where I began my tracking, so that I can track in the opposite direction without having to re-track a portion of my new track, then I might as well use the mouse for the entire tracking procedure. It would be nice to have total button control over this procedure.

Glenn Venghaus

PostSat Feb 20, 2016 5:56 am

+100000000000 for (multiple times in multiple threads and for multiple years requested hotkeys for next/previous node). Come on guys ......................
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Marc Wielage

PostSat Feb 20, 2016 9:35 am

Patrick Taylor wrote:1) Is there a hotkey for stepping through nodes? 2) Is there a hotkey for next keyframe/previous keyframe in the Tracker?

No and no. There is a button on the full-size daVinci Control Panel to go to previous node/next node, but whatever embedded command this is, we can't get to it. You could theoretically fire off a macro to get to the keyframes by pulling down that menu, but that would involve a 3rd party macro program.

You can get to previous keyframe and next keyframe in the Keyframe window, but not in the Tracking window. I'd love to see both provided in the programmable keyboard menus.

Mark Sterne

PostSat Feb 20, 2016 5:44 pm

+1 for keyboard shortcuts for node stepping and key frame stepping in the tracking window!

Even better if they could be modified to add/subtract number of steps by combining with a number key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Early

PostSat Feb 20, 2016 6:00 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Patrick: As Marc has pointed out (Thanks Marc!), in Resolve 9.0.4 the Window Outline keyboard shortcut changed from <Shift><CMD><C> to <Option><h> on Mac or <Alt><h> on Windows.

One of the perils of using very old forum data. Occasionally things change.

Why can't this be customised in the Keyboard Shortcuts menu?

If it could, I'd simply make it into a single button press. Too many shortcuts by default require a modifier, which is an unnecessary hassle at best and a health risk at worst. I got really bad RSI in my left thumb from the default cmd-W for Show Reference Wipe before I changed it to simply be W; I like my references to be full screen so I had to hold the cmd key down while I'd toggle back and forth between the reference and my current image. Agony after a few sessions of that.

It's not even as if I lost the default shortcut for Dynamic Trim in the process, as shortcuts for the Color page do not interfere with those for the Edit page, which also means I can freely change 'add serial node' to S instead of alt-S and the same key will still toggle between slip and slide in the Edit page. I mean, why would one of the most commonly used operations require a modifier key to be pressed?? :?

What I'm saying is, please make more shortcuts single button presses by default, but thanks for allowing keyboard shortcut overlaps. And please attach shortcuts to more functions, such as toggle window outline, and also Color page viewer function. At the moment, if I use a reference wipe and want to adjust a power window or see where it is, after turning off the wipe I must click on the drop-down menu and re-select power window. Why doesn't turning reference wipe off automatically re-select the last used viewer function anyway?
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Marc Wielage

PostSun Feb 21, 2016 5:49 am

Tom Early wrote:And please attach shortcuts to more functions, such as toggle window outline, and also Color page viewer function. At the moment, if I use a reference wipe and want to adjust a power window or see where it is, after turning off the wipe I must click on the drop-down menu and re-select power window. Why doesn't turning reference wipe off automatically re-select the last used viewer function anyway?

I get around this by having a programmable macro on an X-Keys keyboard that brings up the Power Window adjustment menu, and the moment you do that, then the Viewer automatically goes to Window View mode.

The trick is that only the full-size daVinci Control Panel has two-way communications where the panel tells the software what to do, and the software tells the panel what mode to get into. So you can always make the power window visible with the big panels with just one button push.

Anything Blackmagic puts in the pull-down menus, we can re-program with the keyboard commands. The problem is the stuff not up there... and previous node/next node is on that short list. I'm ambivalent about previous tracker keyframe/next tracker keyframe, but I wouldn't mind it being there. My take is between control, option, command, and shift, there's more than enough buttons on a keyboard to get to damn near anything if they wanted to.

Return to DaVinci Resolve