Pro Res On Windows

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Fabio Lopes

Pro Res On Windows

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 6:17 pm

I recently transitioned from a mac to a pc and in premiere i couldn't help but notice that exporting in pro res is not a option. Which it makes sense since apple always been strict with pro res licensing.

After researching online on the subject i now find myself with bits and pieces of scattered knowledge, a few questions...

I own a BMPC4k and shoot mostly in pro res, I can still do all my edit in pro res regarding of being on a windows machine and export to a popular h.264 format as i usually do, in what situation would you need to export a pro res file? like, passing the footage in a pro res format to another editor, cinema dng files to pro res for editing?

Also , I read about softwares like cine c that can encode pro res on windows, is the encoding reliable in terms of quality ? any alternatives output formats to pro res (unless client specifically asks for it)

sorry for bombarding you with questions, just trying to lift this cloud of doubt

Jugurtha Ouar

Re: Pro Res On Windows

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Hello Fabio Lopes,

Try to see if you can deliver in DNxHD (avid cross platform codec)
Depending of your client, they should be well aware of this option as Avid as been the standard for many many years.

So even if your contrat says ProRes try to phone the technical staff to confirm if you have this option.

As for ProRes on windows, the main "problem" is the licensing of Apple. It seems like most if not all of those plugins / third party encoders etc Use the FFmpeg version of ProRes that is not officially supported by Apple. (So you can get your Delivery sent back)
There is a few Software that have official Prores Licence for windows but I don't know all of them.
I think Scracth can deliver, Maybe Redcine too and probably a few more (but expect a huge price point)

So again Try to phone the techs and propose DNxHD or DNxHR as we ALL need to root for a cross platform solution :)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 10:24 pm

Telestream Switch Plus (only ProResHQ mode) uses Apple certified implementation=49$. Also gives you many very nice features as QC player.

Fabio Lopes

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 10:57 pm

Thanks for the info, really helpful!

Is DNxhd a lossless format? What coded would you recommend exporting on premiere pro that is lossless. When I say lossless I don't mean raw I mean if I shot on camera pro res hq I would like to export the file without compression but a different format that is not pro res

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Dec 09, 2016 11:52 am

If you work with Adobe you can use Cineform or DNxHR highest quality (DNxHD is only up to HD and restricted frame sizes). If you want lossless (no compression) than you can use either image sequence (DPX, EXR etc) or e.g. 10bit RGB MOV (by using BlackMagic 10bit RGB MOV codec). This will be like DPX 10bit. Huge files for 4K though.
I would stick to Cineform or DNxHR at highest quality in your case. All depends on many things, including storage, amount of footage, processing power etc. and also final delivery method/viewing.

JPOwens

PostFri Dec 09, 2016 5:30 pm

Fabio Lopes wrote:Is DNxhd a lossless format?

DNxHD and ProRes are roughly equivalent in terms of codec efficiency; there are a number of white papers floating around doing error comparisons and defect analysis... yada x3...

The vocabulary is "visually lossless", which means, yes you do lose something, but not important to a viewer. If you are in a VFX pipeline where a qualifier or matte process will reveal a difference, then you will have to decide whether an "Uncompressed" workflow - which will multiply your storage and bitrate throughput by a factor of at least x10 - is worth it to you or not. If you're used to running a Gig a minute in ProRes, stop and do the math first if you're contemplating 4K-DCI 12-bit dpx. Its more like a Gig/sec., and you're into super-server territory.

jPo, CSI

Return to Post Production