Media Express MJPEG vs DNxHD/ProRes bitrates?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Red Rigos

Media Express MJPEG vs DNxHD/ProRes bitrates?

PostTue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Hi,

So I've pretty much given up trying to troubleshoot why I'm getting crackling audio when capturing DNxHD with a Intensity Shuttle thru Resolve (w/ 6 ch. audio).

I'm looking to fall back on MJPEG capture on ME, but I'm wondering what bitrate it captures at in comparison to something like ProRes or DNxHD? I know I need at least some form of RAID to capture Uncompressed 8-bit AVIs, but dunno about MJPEG.

I'm also wondering if MJPEG is a good enough format to edit with without having to transcode? I'm aware you ideally want ProRes/DNxHD, but since I've never edited MJPEG videos before, it'd be nice to know what to expect.

Pretty much looking for the most time efficient way to capture my footage with 5.1 audio. I've wasted many hours trying to get DNxHD to work properly. Now I just wanna get back to editing and not have to keep testing. I'm currently capturing 720p/60, but eventually want to be doing 1080p/60 down the road on something like the Intensity Pro 4K.

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Media Express MJPEG vs DNxHD/ProRes bitrates?

PostTue May 23, 2017 10:04 pm

One thing which is bad about MJPEG is 8bit. It's also not very efficient.
Look for other ways of capturing to more modern intermediate codecs DNxHD, ProRes etc.

Walter Sonius

PostWed May 24, 2017 8:59 am

Could you please post some info about your hardware / software (OS/versions) setup and CPU usage during capture in the DNxHD broken way?

Its unclear if you have USB or thunderbolt shuttle and if you capture in Media Express or third party utility.

If you have a USB shuttle how many other devices are on the same USB chipset.

What editing software do you use, most will work fine mjpeg. But like Andrew is saying its 8bit, but if your not into grading afterwards its still 422 if I'm not mistaking and might work for you although you need more disk space.

I don't have an idea if the 5.1 audio will work is it PCM or bitstream?

Red Rigos

PostWed May 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Walter Sonius wrote:Could you please post some info about your hardware / software (OS/versions) setup and CPU usage during capture in the DNxHD broken way?

Its unclear if you have USB or thunderbolt shuttle and if you capture in Media Express or third party utility.

If you have a USB shuttle how many other devices are on the same USB chipset.

What editing software do you use, most will work fine mjpeg. But like Andrew is saying its 8bit, but if your not into grading afterwards its still 422 if I'm not mistaking and might work for you although you need more disk space.

I don't have an idea if the 5.1 audio will work is it PCM or bitstream?

i7 4790K
16GB RAM
GTX 970 GPU
250GB Samsung EVO SSD for OS/Programs & Media Cache
128GB Samsung Pro for Preview & Project Files
8TB HDD for footage

I cant recall off the top of my head but I think DNxHD capture gave me about 30% of CPU usage? Regardless, whatever it was, CPU usage wasnt much of a problem. I'm using a USB Shuttle and 4 of the 6 USB 3.0 ports are used up.

I was using Resolve to capture DNxHD as that was the only way I knew how to do it with the Shuttle to retain the ability to capture 5.1 audio. If I didnt need surround sound, I'd simply use some other non-BM software. I was hoping Media Express would capture DNxHD since it's simpler to use, but I can't figure out how to get it working on it.

I edit in Premiere Pro CC 2017

Return to Post Production