Capture external audio and video with Ultrastudio 4k extreme

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Vicky Mittal

Capture external audio and video with Ultrastudio 4k extreme

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 9:06 pm

Is there a software package or NLE that would be able to capture video and audio?

We are using the Ultrasudio 4k Extreme and RME madiface for audio. I haven't found any good information on this and only 1 piece of software where I could use select a different source for audio.

Colin Barrett

Re: Capture external audio and video with Ultrastudio 4k ext

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Have you tried Blackmagic's own Media Express that comes as part of the Desktop Video install package? That's what I use for first level capture from tape on three Blackmagic-based hardware systems.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Vicky Mittal

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Colin Barrett wrote:Have you tried Blackmagic's own Media Express that comes as part of the Desktop Video install package? That's what I use for first level capture from tape on three Blackmagic-based hardware systems.

Yes, I have already checked the Media Express software and does not have support for external audio. Also spoke with support and they said it doesn't. They were pretty rude about it.

Jack Fairley

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 7:57 pm

UltraStudio 4K Extreme supports up to 8 channels embedded in HDMI, 16 embedded in SDI.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:35 pm

Vicky Mittal wrote:
Colin Barrett wrote:Have you tried Blackmagic's own Media Express that comes as part of the Desktop Video install package? That's what I use for first level capture from tape on three Blackmagic-based hardware systems.

Yes, I have already checked the Media Express software and does not have support for external audio. Also spoke with support and they said it doesn't. They were pretty rude about it.

You would need some 3rd party solution, maybe ToolsOnAir or QTake, but these are quite expensive. In the same time any solution which uses separate path for video and audio is prone to sync issues and should be avoided if possible.

Chaz Dole

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 3:51 am

Mac or PC? If PC, try AmaRecTV, a free software program that lets you mix and match audio and video inputs.
As for lip-sync issues, try it out and see, won't cost anything. I haven't noticed that problem, but haven't specifically looked for it either.
It has a nice feature that lists dropped frames. Been 100% stable so far (about 30 hours of capturing) on my Win7 system.
Not sure it will work on a 4k cap card, I use it with the Intensity Pro non 4k, as well as a cheapie AverMedia C027 card.
It has a fairly small footprint, only a few MBs. It is recommended to check all downloads at the virustotal website to check for problems before loading any software from the internet.

Edit: AmaRecTV can be run from a folder, without installing.

Return to Post Production