Decklink Mini Monitor 4K audio channels flipped?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Mike Halper

Decklink Mini Monitor 4K audio channels flipped?

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 pm

I just installed a Decklink Mini Monitor 4K. While initially testing it I've found that audio channels 3 & 4 seem to be flipped. In Resolve preferences I set up as a 7.1 system assigning channels like this:

Left - Output 1
Right - Output 2
Center - Output 3
LFE - Output 4
Left Surround - Output 5
Right Surround - Output 6
Left Back Surround - Output 7
Right Back Surround - Output 8

This is the standard configuration in the industry, correct? With this configuration and setting the Fairlight Bus Format to 7.1 all channels play through the correct speakers as expected, except for Center and LFE are flipped. I have to set Center to Output 4 and LFE to Output 3 to get the correct sound through those speakers. I checked in the Audio MIDI Setup app in MacOS and found the same results.

Previously I was using a Decklink SDI 4K and going to an AJA HI5 SDI to HDMI converter (BMD's converters don't pass through 8 channels of audio) and with that I got the proper Center on Output 3 and LFE on Output 4 as it's supposed to be.

Do I have a defective Decklink Mini Monitor 4K, is this a software driver bug, or is this product just flawed in this way?
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Decklink Mini Monitor 4K audio channels flipped?

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 10:07 pm

SDI is not really aware of multichannel order. It's always (by default) 1:1 mapping, so channel 1 on tape is channel 1 on capture, 2 is 2 etc.
It won't be card issue but rather software which is used with card. It's up to software to interpret multichannel input. The best is to manually map it the way as you want.

Stephen van Vuuren

PostWed Jun 21, 2023 8:44 pm

I can confirm this is still true, just setup up DCP playback via my Sony 4K projector and Sony amp and had to flip center and LFE channels in speaker setup.

Glenn Sakatch

PostSat Jul 01, 2023 3:26 pm

It has been like this for ages.
Many home theatre systems are expecting a different mapping of the audio.

I've been flipping channels 3 and 4 out of Avid forever.

Return to Post Production