ISSUE with EIZO CG247X and ULTRASTUDIO 4K or EXPRESS

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Alessandro Bernardi

ISSUE with EIZO CG247X and ULTRASTUDIO 4K or EXPRESS

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 11:31 pm

IMG_4681 mod.jpg
Issue with the Ultrastudio Express
IMG_4681 mod.jpg (89.29 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
Hi all,
we're facing two different issues with a brand new Eizo CG247X Full HD monitor connected via HDMI to an Ultrastudio 4K or an Ultrastudio Express.
We're having these problems on two different MacPro Late 2013 running MacOS ElCap and all the latest updates of BM software, including Resolve, and Premiere CC2017.

On the machine featuring the BM Ultrastudio Express it looks like there is a signal problem like when you send an YUV signal that is not correctly interpeted by the monitor (look at the coffee machine attachment) as we have magenta shadows with green highlights.
I've tried to change the output setting of the Ultrastudio Express and many settings on the Eizo CG247X, but nothing happened.
The issue is exactly the same when using Premiere CC2017 or Resolve 12.5.4, same kind of signal mismatch.

On the second machine the issue is different, though the machine is almost the same in terms of configuration. On this one the CG247X is connected to an Ultrastudio 4K. The colors appears correctly, but the image shows an annoying vertical jagging very similar to an interlacing artifact.
Usually this kind of artifact is horizontal due to the scanning lines of the interlaced format, in this case the lines are vertical and looks similar to a kind of slicing (look at the jacket detail attachment).

We've tried to change many settings in BM control panel, in Resolve and Premiere, but nothing changed.
Changing the timeline settings in Resolve produced a change on the monitor in terms of resolution and frame rate, but the jagging artifact remained anyway.
We've also tried to change the cables and all the possibile settings on the monitor, unfortunately without any success.

It must be said that the same CG247X it works perfectly when is connected to a RED camera with many different frame rate settings.

I've seen on this forum that other people have faced problems with Eizo monitors, but always when using UHD of 4k signals. In our case we're working at Full HD resolution, so I can't see where is the problem.
My idea is that maybe we can put some signal converters betweeen the monitor and the two Ultrastudio, but I don't really know what kind of converter we could use.

Please, any suggestion or help is enormously appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Alessandro Bernardi
Attachments
IMG_4682-rid.jpg
issue with the Ultrastudio 4K
IMG_4682-rid.jpg (626.96 KiB) Viewed 2706 times

Alessandro Bernardi

Re: ISSUE with EIZO CG247X and ULTRASTUDIO 4K or EXPRESS

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 9:17 pm

UPDATE: thanks to Eizo Japan tech support the issue is now resolved!

The problem is the kind of signal that the CG247X is expecting on the HDMI port. This signal can be changed in a special menu accessible through a certain button sequence.

Below, the original answer from the Eizo Tech Support.

--------
CG247 has a signal format function on OSD.
Please change this setting according to the following:
- When you connect CG247 to PC via HDMI, please select the "PC" mode.
- When you connect CG247 to the video device, such as BMD devices, please select the "Video" mode.

Procedure is as below.
1. Press the power button to turn off the monitor.
2. Holding "MODE" down, press the power button for at least two seconds to turn on the monitor.
The "Optional Settings" menu appears.
3. Choose "Signal Selection" from "Optional Settings" and press "ENTER".
4. Choose "HDMI" and press "ENTER".
5. Select "Signal Format" and "ENTER".
6. Switch the signal format to "PC" or "Video" as your usage.
7. Press "RETURN" twice.
8. Select "Finish" and press "ENTER".
--------

I would add only few more steps to be sure that everything is ok.
9. From the normal OSD "Screen" menu choose "Color Space" and press "ENTER".
10. Then choose "Auto" or "YUV 4:4:4" or "YUV 4:2:2" depending on the kind of signal and press "ENTER".
11. Press "RETURN" until you exit all the menus.

The CG247X now works perfectly when connected both to the Ultrastudio 4K and Express.

The big deal with this monitor is that it can be calibrated with the Color Navigator NX software and any setting can be saved into one of its memory settings.
The advantage is that you can keep your calibrations even when the monitor is connected to any HDMI device.
Further, as it features a built-in sensor, you don't need the computer anymore to perform the calibration.
Every fixed timing it turns on when you're not working and perfoms auto-calibration after a warm-up.

Now I can work as I want. Thanks Eizo!

roger.magnusson

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 1:32 pm

So weren't both UltraStudio devices outputting YUV video?

Alessandro Bernardi

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 2:21 pm

They were both outputting YUV video, but the monitor was expecting an RGB signal from a computer.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Yes, Eizo is one of these (not many) companies which know their products very well.

Eric Santiago

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 7:41 pm

I am having the same issues (pixelated image) as Alessandro and hopefully his tips will work for me.
I have done the HDMI > VIDEO update (thanks to tech support) but no mention of the YUV update so hopefully that will help me.

Eric Santiago

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 pm

I just changed it to YUV 444/422 and I get that awful green look.
It doesnt affect my OSEE but thats via SDI.
So somethings up with the HDMI option on this setup.
Using DesktopVideo 10.8.4.
Going to check for an update.

Eric Santiago

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 2:15 am

User error here.
Thanks Alessandro for the tips.
It works!!

Return to Post Production