VHS S-Video to Hyperdeck Studio 2

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ed_thebear

VHS S-Video to Hyperdeck Studio 2

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Hi,
I am very new to video editing etc. If I can explain what I am trying to do perhaps some kind person can tell me how it can be done. If in fact it is possible? Here we go then:- I have some old VHS PAL footage of me taken indoors when I was in a band. I used no additional lighting so it's poor footage. I have been told that I can correct this by importing the video footage in to my iMAC uncompressed by purchasing the BMD Hyperdeck Studio 2 and the Mini converter Analog to SDI and then edit it in Davinci Resolve Studio 15 but for the life of me I cannot bring the signal up either on the small monitor on the unit or on my Mac monitor. I cannot understand why not. I have imported it in to the computer via a cheap USB video grabber and thats fine but compressed of course. What can I do !! Why am I so dumb?
Ed

Uli Plank

Re: VHS S-Video to Hyperdeck Studio 2

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 1:21 pm

You may need to get a VHS player with a TBC, Hyperdeck Studio is a professional box.

Since it's only VHS, don't expect too much. Try to fiddle with the footage from that cheap converter and see what Resolve can do for you. Which codec is that converter using an at which data rate?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ed_thebear

Re: VHS S-Video to Hyperdeck Studio 2

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Hello,
Thank you so much for coming back to me. I have at last resolved the issue. It turned out to be a switch on the back of the VHS. Once I switched it over to the y and c alternative on the s-video output it worked fine. It was such a small dip switch that I had a job to see it. Thanks once again for coming back though!
Ed

Return to Post Production