Davinci 11 projects and multiple resolution timelines

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

seanross67

Davinci 11 projects and multiple resolution timelines

PostTue Apr 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Does anybody know if the new resolve will support multiple resolution timelines within the same project? For finishing/versioning, this is vital to our workflow, as my facility is delivering projects in an ever widening variety of resolutions and aspect ratios. It is something that we use Flame / Smoke to do as of now.
Resolve on a iMac Pro 11.6 64gb RAM Radeon Pro Vega 64.
Davinci 17.4.4

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Davinci 11 projects and multiple resolution timelines

PostWed Apr 16, 2014 5:42 am

Resolve is flexible so you can change the timeline resolution at any time to render various formats. in v11 you can even render in the source res.

The source clip and destination aspect ratios are also constantly flexible.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

RufusBlackwell

PostFri Apr 18, 2014 1:39 am

Good point

It is really annoying having to constantly change project resolution for each different timeline. I agree with the OP, it would be great if the resolution for Resolve was set per timeline rather than for the whole project.

Also it would also be great if you could scale up for export without changing the project (or timeline) resolution.

For example if I am working with a 5k source clips in a timeline that will eventually be UHD exported I will often work at 1080p for ease of use and eventually export at UHD.
Currently if I export without changing the resolution it will scale up the HD timeline to UHD however it would be better if it recognised that it could produce higher res export without having to change the base resolution.

That is a great feature that Premiere has. It recognises the higher resolution source clip and creates the export accordingly.

Just to be clear, in Premier you could have a UHD source in a 960X540 timeline and export at UHD resolution and you would keep the full UHD information even though it's going via a smaller timeline.

Also I really hope that in resolve 11 you can export with the timeline name when exporting one clip. If resolve is to be an editing system it really needs basic features like that since more and more people are going to be exporting as one clip.

If you are mastering in Resolve you will want to export it with the edit name.

These are the current automatic naming options, useful for exporting individual clips, but not at all useful for exporting an edit.

%L Reel Name
%R Resolution
%T EDL Reel
%V Version Name
%I Shot number (relative to the session)
% For stereo 3D projects, the eye (“left” or “right”)
DroneFX.tv

Georg Pelzer

PostFri Apr 18, 2014 9:21 pm

+ 1

I would love to use different sized timelines whithin the same project simultaneously.
Georg Pelzer

Dominik Gehring

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 10:58 am

+1 nowadays with all the formats for social media this is crucial.
-----------------------
www.kg-studio.ch

Return to DaVinci Resolve