filmed in raw but can't view videos

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

raythecaddie

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 5:00 am

I filmed a movie scene in raw format, but when I went to look at the footage I found that it was in hundreds of files in a .dng format. How do I convert these files so I can view the video that was shot? I'm stressing out because I can't re-shoot that scene...HELPPPPPP Please!!!

rick.lang

Re: filmed in raw but can't view videos

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 5:12 am

What are you using when you discovered tons of individual DNG frames? In Resolve, the clip applies to a folder and all the DNG frames are presented to you on the Media Page as a video clip as you would expect.

The one exception to this is if you have dropped frames on a recording. Resolve checks to see every frame is there and if one is missing, it then shows you each DNG frame and not the video clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Mark Grgurev

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 5:17 am

If you're simply stating that each clip is a directory with a bunch of pictures, that's how the camera shoots. You can view these clips in FastCinemaDNG and you can view, edit, and convert them in Davinci Resolve. If they're losslessly compressed RAW then they can also be opened up in After Effects and Premiere Pro.

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 8:47 am

If you read manual of camera you can know why raw is a frames sequence and how to use Resolve to see, edit manage and export movie, and more...
BMD editor work hard to write and develop documentation to allow people to work fine and clear with their tools.
Check it, you will find ones of most amazing piece of software that you never seen and many many thing about camera you have bought.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

raythecaddie

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 6:34 pm

I was able to use Davinci Resolve 15 and imported some of my raw filming files to view them. But when I play them the playback is really choppy. I filmed at 24fps, but during the playback there is a number that keeps jumping up and down from 17.5 - 14. Files that were filmed in Prores HQ playback at the 24fps. How do I fix the raw file playback issue.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 7:02 pm

raythecaddie wrote:I was able to use Davinci Resolve 15 and imported some of my raw filming files to view them. But when I play them the playback is really choppy. I filmed at 24fps, but during the playback there is a number that keeps jumping up and down from 17.5 - 14. Files that were filmed in Prores HQ playback at the 24fps. How do I fix the raw file playback issue.

Raw choppy could be caused from slow storage or slow computer performance.
i can play smooth 30p 4.6k from a 2013 cpu (i7 4950k) and a 980ti from a simple double raid disk of mechanical hdd.

if you have slower hardware there are many optimization on resolve, from caching to optimized media creation and more. check on manual how to develop them.
Often you not need them, you need only to calibrate resolution of playback with you r computer performance.
you not point about resolution and kind of raw, the configuration of your computer to understand how to suggest to do better :-D
please give us more info :-D

Return to Post Production