Using Hyperdeck Studio to capture from HDCAM-SR

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

rrsduncan

Using Hyperdeck Studio to capture from HDCAM-SR

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi,

One of my clients still provides me with a lot of HDCAM-SR tapes for digitisation and I am keen to move away from doing it through a Decklink. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of connecting a Hyperdeck Studio to a tape deck and recording directly to SSD? Will the Hyperdeck connect over RS422 and control the deck with Timecode?

Thanks,
Robbie.

Baz

Re: Using Hyperdeck Studio to capture from HDCAM-SR

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 10:34 pm

I capture plenty of stuff from my HDCAM-SR deck to HYPERDECK, and it also captures all 12 audio tracks available (including Dolby E). But there is no RS422 interaction available between the 2 devices.

I built an automated log capture device that connects to the SR decks' RS422 and the Hyperdecks' ethernet, and can capture from the SR to Hyperdeck as individual clips from a timecode log. It can also edit/record on the SR from the Hyperdeck logged clips.

Unfortunately the Hyperdeck cannot be used as a record deck on a linear edit controller due to its messed up 'cue status' over the P2 protocol.

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

rrsduncan

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 11:31 pm

Hi Baz,

Thanks for getting back to me. It's good to get some information from someone who actually uses the device. So essentially if I start the deck, hit record on the Hyperdeck it'll record quite happily with timecode over SDI but I won't get VTR control or the ability to batch with TC over 422 the way you do with a Decklink? If so, I'm OK with that. As long as I have TC I usually need to cut CM breaks anyway to create the master so I'm not hugely worried about losing control. All that's required for me is correct timecode. I find capturing through an NLE with a Decklink really error prone.

That's really interesting about your control device it certainly mimics a lot of what I'm trying to replace in software entirely in hardware. Is that something you'd consider sharing? I do occasionally have to do TV episodes on SR and they it removes a step to cut the CM breaks in capture. I never need to record to the SR deck which is a blessing, but a certain country still loves to deliver masters on SR tapes.

Cheers,
Robbie.

swiftnick99

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 11:10 am

I also wanted to digitize some videos...the problem I have is that I have tried recording my computer desktop and it plays back in black and green - even if I playback straight from the Hyperdeck, (so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues with codecs)...I tried 3 of the modes of recording - all the same. If it was vga I would suspect a dodgy cable, but this is HDMI.....Have you seen this? Any ideas? Would you think the Blackmagic presenter would also be good for this use? Thanks - Nick

Return to Post Production