2K 10bit preview via HDMI with Deckilink Mini Monitor 4K?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Adriano Castaldini

2K 10bit preview via HDMI with Deckilink Mini Monitor 4K?

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm buying an OLED TV as reference monitor (preview) for Davinci. I'd need to preview a 2K DCI 10bit P3 project from computer to TV via HDMI (TV is 10bit HDR with HDMI 2.0 and 99% P3).
Question 1: does Decklink Mini Monitor 4K match this need?
Question 2: does it handle HDR preview?

My doubt comes from specs page:
- 2K DCI (SDI only). So how can I preview 2K DCI with HDMI?
- Color space specifies only REC 601 and REC 709. So no mention about P3...

What is better for my need: Decklink Mini Monitor 4K or Intensity Pro 4K?

Thanks a lot.

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: 2K 10bit preview via HDMI with Deckilink Mini Monitor 4K

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 9:58 pm

You most likely won't get 2K over HDMI as spec says.
HDR should work as card has 2.0 chip and spec says HDR supported.
UHD is 30p max.

It's rather simple card, but for its price it does offer quite a lot.
Intensity Pro 4K is based on old 1.4 spec HDM chip, so not good choice.

Adriano Castaldini

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 11:08 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:You most likely won't get 2K over HDMI as spec says.
Thanks for your reply.
So, If I need to preview a 2K DCI via HDMI, I could go for 1080p24 scaled preview (having anyway a 2K timeline, right?)

And what about P3 color space? Not declared but available, or simply not available?

Thanks

P.S. I'd need to install that Mini Monitor 4K on Sierra. Last driver says High-Sierra minimum... Anyone knows if it's possible to install the card also on Sierra 10.12?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 11:20 pm

Yes, scaled or centre crop.
P3- hmm. It may work fine if your TV allows for forcing color space per HDMI input. Some do, some don't.
It would be easier if BM card had Rec.2020 support, but it doesn't look like this model has. Not 100% sure.
You need to calibrate it and verify.

Adriano Castaldini

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 11:32 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Yes, scaled or centre crop.
P3- hmm. It may work fine if your TV allows for forcing color space per HDMI input. Some do, some don't.
Dear Andrew, do you know if Pana FZ800 does?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 11:42 pm

Don't know, but manual says:

■ Colour Gamut
Colour Gamut
(Native / Rec. 709 / SMPTE-C / EBU / Rec. 2020 / DCI-P3 / Auto / sRGB /
Adobe)
Reproduces image colour precisely according to the colour gamut standards.
Native:
Displays deep colours by expanding the colour gamut to its maximum.
Rec. 709:
Standard for HD (High definition)
SMPTE-C:
Standard for NTSC
EBU:
Standard for PAL
Rec. 2020:
Provides the suitable colour gamut for Rec. 2020.
DCI-P3:
Provides the suitable colour gamut for DCI 4K.
Auto:
Automatically adjusts the colour gamut according to the input signal.
(For photo content) sRGB:
Standard for sRGB (For photo content) Adobe:
Standard for AdobeRGB (For photo content)
● Auto / sRGB / Adobe are available for the photo content.
● Set Colour Remaster and Reversal Film Effect to Off to use this function.
● Set Rec.2020 Colour Remaster to Off to use this function for the Rec. 2020 signal.

so it looks like you can force TV to use specific gamut, which is what you want. Panasonic is good when it comes to pro features and color accuracy in home TVs.

Adriano Castaldini

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 11:54 pm

Really thanks for your help, Andrew!
Very last question: BM says last drivers (with HDR metadata) run only on High-Sierra or Mojave.
I have Sierra and I'd need to remain in Sierra (I have an Hackintosh with 3 Nvidia GPU... High-Sierra is unstable with Nvidia, and Mojave hasn't Nvidia drivers up to now).
The options are:
1. Installing old drivers loosing HDR metadata;
2. Buying an AMD card...
My question: is there a way to install last Mini Monitor 4K drivers on Sierra? (Perhaps SDK...?)
Thanks again

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 9:25 am

Not sure. Maybe try hacking latest drives to install on your Sierra. May work may not.

I think Panasonic is one of the TVs which do allow for manual force of HDR mode, so it can all still work (you just have to force it manually whenever you are monitoring HDR). Many other TVs don't have such an option and then you really need HDMI HDR signalling.

Adriano Castaldini

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 9:33 am

Thanks for your reply!
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Maybe try hacking latest drives to install on your Sierra.
Do you mean there is a way to "force" the driver to be installed on Sierra? If so, which one?
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:I think Panasonic is one of the TVs which do allow for manual force of HDR mode, so it can all still work (you just have to force it manually whenever you are monitoring HDR). Many other TVs don't have such an option and then you really need HDMI HDR signalling.
Completely newbie & dummy question: it sounds to me that "forcing" HDR on Pana (while non-HDR signalling via HDMI) could be like a sort of HDR-simulation of a signal? I mean, suppose I have an HDR project on timeline, and I want to have a "real" preview, but Decklink can't output HDR metadata because I use old drivers (for Sierra): in this case I can image 2 scenarios:
1. Decklink outputs a non-HDR signal and Pana TV "blows" it as a "fake" HDR (not exactly what I have on timeline);
2. Even without recent drivers, Decklink outputs HDR signal anyway, but without metadata, and that's not a problem for Pana TV because I can "force" it to "understand" by itself the HDR signal from Decklink (so, in this case, I'm monitoring the real HDR I have on timeline).

Which is the true scenario?

Really thanks

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 12:33 pm

Case 2.

HDR can be output through any SDI card even old one. It's more a matter of TV understanding it as HDR. When signal is not flagged as HDR you need to manually tell TV that signal is HDR and force it to this mode. It will work fine. This is how most broadcast monitors work- people set them to match incoming signal. Only recently SDI actually got ability to flag signal as HDR (like in case of HDMI) for automatic switching. Still many broadcast TVs are "manual".
There is fake HDR in most TVs, but this is for SDR signals. You will be sending HDR signal.

Drivers installer will have OSX check- but I think there are ways of passing this. I don't know how to do it, but google is your friend.

Adriano Castaldini

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 2:40 pm

Great Andrew,
thanks really a lot!

Adriano Castaldini

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 7:22 pm

News here:
I'm still waiting for my Mini Monitor 4K shipping order, but I tried anyway to install High-Sierra drivers (BM Desktop Video 11) on a non-High-Sierra OS (here is Yosemite 10.10.5 on MacbookPro).
The result: no obstructions during installation, and after restart BM Desktop Video (from System Preferences) seems working ("seems" because I have no card to test it up to now, but it opens and this is a good new).

The only software that can't run in a "foreign" OS is BM Media Express. Question: for my needs (previewing my Davinci project on a reference monitor) does it matter? I guess not! Isn't it?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 7:46 pm

No- you don't need it.

Adriano Castaldini

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 10:25 pm

Thank you for your help Andrew. You are a pretty kind and nice man!

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 10:49 am

Np. Panasonic is coming with new "home-pro" OLED GZ2000:

not going to be cheap though.

Adriano Castaldini

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 5:09 pm

AAAAARGH...
My FZ800 will arrive tomorrow!!! Well, sincerely I could not wait for a new model. I'll be happy anyway with FZ800...
I've read GZ2000 will be the first Pana with both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, but also FZ800 declared HDR10+, so, again, I think I'll be satisfied anyway.
Tecnology flies...

Adriano Castaldini

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 10:32 pm

Just a P.S. question: which HDMI cable?
If both Decklink Mini Monitor 4K and OLED TV have HDMI 2.0, I think I should buy HDMI 2.0 cable!
But there are many types:

1. AmazonBasics (6 euros) declares a bandiwidth of 18 Gb/s
(https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B014I8SSD0/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A11IL2PNWYJU7H);

2. Belkin (35 euros) declares 48 Gb/s and compatibility with HDR10 and Dolby Vision
(https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B075N83B9X/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A11IL2PNWYJU7H);

3. Monster (90 euros) declares 27 Gb/s
(https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00H39NIPA/ref=crt_ewc_title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A11IL2PNWYJU7H);

4. Audioquest Vodka declares > 18 Gb/s and a price of 415 euros... Easy to understand why its name is Vodka...
(https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B005OXJMMU/ref=crt_ewc_title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A25WDDB9VC73OB).

Question: I simply want to preview a RAW uncompressed CinemaDNG timeline from the Decklink HDMI to a HDR 10bit TV, and let say (for future proof) at 4K 25fps, then which cable should I buy?

Thanks

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 11:17 pm

Simple rule- stay away from crazy cheap ones and forget about Monster 10x overpriced ones. Buy middle one, which is decent and has proper spec (good shielding, rubber etc). Belkin etc should be fine. also Theo longer the cable the better it should be. Short ones <2M etc almost always work- expect some crazy cheap crap. 15 Euro for 2m should be good enough.

Belkin 48Gb ones is for 2.1 spec, but I assume it means it should work well for 2.0 spec which is way slower. Those 2.1 cables need to be even better made as speed has been increased a lot.

I don't get what cable has to do with HDR10 and DV. Cable need to be complaint with given HDMI spec and if any feature is within this spec then it will work. Saying that my cable supports eg. HDR10 is just pr crap. What you want o see is that eg. my cables meets full HDMI 2.0 spec. Quoting single features of HDMi spec is just a marketing practice.

Adriano Castaldini

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 1:17 am

So, if I understand correcly, 18 Gbps should be sufficient to see 4K @25fps 4.4.4 HDR from my RAW uncompressed timeline, right?
If so, I think I'd go for a "normal" 11-euros cable like the 3mt version of Club3D HDMI 2.0 certified cable:
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0194UCMCU

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 11:08 pm

Yes, 18Gbit means 2.0 HDMI spec.
From what I read Club3D is decent brand, so it should be good choice.

Adriano Castaldini

PostMon Mar 25, 2019 12:56 am

Dear Andrew,
right today I had a doubt: burn-in issue on OLED TVs!

today I've seen many articles and videos about effective burn-in issue on OLED TVs.

They say this issue affects mainly the bright-and/or-static parts of the frame, but - as you perfectly know - color grading implies working on a sigle frame for a long time, that's dangerous for burn-in attitude of OLED TVs.

Do you still think an OLED TV is a good choice as reference monitor for grading preview? Or should I go for a completely different type of monitor? (Q-LED?)

Thanks a lot.

P.S.
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Np. Panasonic is coming with new "home-pro" OLED GZ2000
In his review Vincent Teoh speaks about better heat dissipation in GZ2000 models. In your opinion this could mean "no more burn-in issue"? (And that is only on GZ2000 models?)

Return to Post Production