Ultrastudio 4k Mini - No Audio Capture from Microphone XLR

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

fkick1985

Ultrastudio 4k Mini - No Audio Capture from Microphone XLR

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi,

I've got a new Ultrastudio 4k Mini attached to an iMac Pro over Thunderbolt 3 running Desktop Video 11.4 and Avid 2019.9.

I've set the audio input in Desktop Video to the Microphone and have tried both with and without phantom power (I should have phantom power), but I'm not getting any levels in Avid or FCP X.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Olivier Burri

Re: Ultrastudio 4k Mini - No Audio Capture from Microphone X

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 3:33 am

fkick1985 wrote:Hi,

I've set the audio input in Desktop Video to the Microphone and have tried both with and without phantom power (I should have phantom power), but I'm not getting any levels in Avid or FCP X.

Thanks!

Hi Derek,

Same problem here with the Ultrastudio 4K Extreme version. I did plug a Rode NT1 in the front XLR. When I'm trying to patch the imputs on the Fairlight page, Resolve shows no Audio Imputs.

Guess it's the same problem....

As nobody seems to have a clue, I'm gonna try to reach those BMD guys.
Olivier G. Burri

fkick1985

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 3:40 am

There is an issue apparently with all Blackmagic i/o boxes that requires there to always be a video input signal when capturing audio. This includes when attempting to capture from the Ultrastudio’s Mix XLR jack.

I ended up running a SDI cable between the unit’s SDI out and input jacks, looping it back on itself. As soon as I did I was able to capture audio in avid.

Seems silly to advertise a Mic jack if you need a video signal as well, but it worked.

Olivier Burri

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 5:19 am

This morning, I did open a ticket on BMD support page.
Waiting for a reply. Keep you posted.
Olivier G. Burri

Olivier Burri

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 1:07 pm

After 4 days, they just replied you cannot record audio with the Ultrastudio.

So the mic XLR is an useless dud. LOL.

You need to get a cheap Rode Audio Interface Ai-1 and plug your mic. At least, you can record audio. Yes you can!
Olivier G. Burri

Olivier Burri

PostSun Oct 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Shame. You cannot record audio in Resolve, even with a third party interface!

I plugged an Rode A1i Audio interface, selected the audio input on the Imac Pro. I have NO audio inputs to patch on the Fairlight page.

What is this Fairlight joke? Do I need to go back to Premiere to do an audio punch in?

The 3K+ US$ Ultrastudio 4K Extreme 3 is unable to record audio and it doesn't work with the Rode interface. CMon BMD, this is really "Extreme".
Olivier G. Burri

Wedelski

PostSun Mar 08, 2020 11:28 pm

Pretty sure that falls under false advertising?? How does one engage the XLR in the front then? Is it just for show? Thought it was just Adobe that loved dicking around their userbase...

fkick1985

PostSun Mar 08, 2020 11:31 pm

Wedelski wrote:Pretty sure that falls under false advertising?? How does one engage the XLR in the front then? Is it just for show? Thought it was just Adobe that loved dicking around their userbase...

:D

I've built out two full post houses in the last six months with iMac Pros, and the Ultrastudio Mini's were a solid choice for the bays, with the exception of the XLR input. However, looping the SDI in/out to each other does solve the problem. It's annoying and silly, but it works, and no one has complained about the 6" SDI cable on the back.

mistermenzi

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 3:25 pm

Very good, but how did you set up the US4KM?

I have 16 entrances but none goes?

Did you help me there? Desperate, can't go?

Audioinput: Microphon
Phantom_ON Red LED

[img][/Users/menzi/Desktop/01_iMac.jpg/img]

fkick1985

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 3:46 pm

mistermenzi wrote:Very good, but how did you set up the US4KM?

I have 16 entrances but none goes?

Did you help me there? Desperate, can't go?

Audioinput: Microphon
Phantom_ON Red LED

[img][/Users/menzi/Desktop/01_iMac.jpg/img]

Hi Mistermezi, I can't see your image (try uploading as an attachment rather then imbedding?), but you need to turn on the XLR Microphone input in the Blackmagic control panel in system preferences.
Attachments
Remote Desktop Picture March 9, 2020 at 10.45.20 AM CDT.png
Remote Desktop Picture March 9, 2020 at 10.45.20 AM CDT.png (290.12 KiB) Viewed 26410 times

mistermenzi

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi Derek,

thank you for helping me.

Here is the picture, I hope.

fkick1985

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 4:38 pm

mistermenzi wrote:Hi Derek,

thank you for helping me.

Here is the picture, I hope.

Hi, Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Premiere interface (I'm assuming that is Adobe). However, since you're running Catalina, make sure that you have checked the "Security" Preferences and have allowed all the kernel extensions that pop up under "Allow" on the General tab.

You might also want to try disabling Phantom...just as a test. I don't run with it with our Shure handhelds in Avid.

mistermenzi

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 5:11 pm

Hi,
I checked the kernel, it looks good. I am at a loss, tried a lot, also with Resolve, but unsuccessfully.
I have a choice of 16 audio inputs, but none goes.

Do you work with Avid?

Maybe someone from BMD can help ??? Hi there!

I stay there.

Florian Gintenreiter

PostTue Mar 17, 2020 9:52 pm

Has this problem been solved?

I looped SDI-A (also tried SDI-B) to SDI-IN on my Ultrastudio 4K mini and I still don't have any signal on an OS level (macOS in my case) or in any other app. "Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K mini" shows up as an audio source but no signal is coming through.
The only software that can actually record audio through that XLR seems to be Blackmagic's own "Media Express"

Cheers

Florian
Hardware: MacBookPro 16" 2021, M1 Max, 64GM Ram, Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K mini, PreSonus 26c Audio Interface

Wedelski

PostWed Mar 18, 2020 9:35 pm

Florian Gintenreiter wrote:Has this problem been solved?

I looped SDI-A (also tried SDI-B) to SDI-IN on my Ultrastudio 4K mini and I still don't have any signal on an OS level (macOS in my case) or in any other app. "Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K mini" shows up as an audio source but no signal is coming through.
The only software that can actually record audio through that XLR seems to be Blackmagic's own "Media Express"

Cheers

Florian

Same here // tried the SDI IN/OUT loop and the XLR still doesn't work. Also, the audio out is super glitchy. Pretty much can't use any of the audio tools as advertised. Kind of disappointing. Will have to be firmware update I suppose. Though with the whole virus thing, guess we'll wait til next year. Love and calm to everyone! X

Florian Gintenreiter

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 5:41 pm

Audio out works flawlessly on my side.
Hardware: MacBookPro 16" 2021, M1 Max, 64GM Ram, Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K mini, PreSonus 26c Audio Interface

Steve Fishwick

PostSat Mar 21, 2020 12:14 pm

I feed a Pal B&B SD signal to both composite in and ref in, on the Ultrastudio 4K mini and it works flawlessly with Avid, nothing in BMD Resolve. I was looping SDI i/o and that worked but there was no confidence monitoring within Avid. This works even in HD and 4K projects, you just have to set the input as composite video and the mic audio obviously.

mistermenzi

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 7:29 pm

Many thanks for your help.

I gave up and use my microphone with a USB sound card, it works perfectly.

Let's hope for the next update.

regards

Florian Gintenreiter

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 12:13 pm

I gave up, too and use my Zoom H5N as an USB audio interface. Works flawlessly, but not in Resolve.

*sigh*

JaphetDeOliveira

PostWed May 20, 2020 2:36 pm

I just bought the Ultrastudio 4k Mini and the BMC6k.

1. Only way I can capture sound is via Sennheiser wireless mini xlr direct into the camera. That feed comes through HDMI to the 4K Mini.

2. I tried the XLR on the front from the Sennheiser base and nothing appears on the monitor.

3. Is there anyway to get the XLR input at the front to work instead of the camera feed?

Steve Fishwick

PostTue May 26, 2020 8:04 am

JaphetDeOliveira wrote:3. Is there anyway to get the XLR input at the front to work instead of the camera feed?

Currently not with DaVinci Resolve. The only programme I know of that can use it is Avid Media Composer and then you need to either loop SDI in to out or feed an external ref video signal in. For Resolve and Fairlight I have a basic Presonus audio interface that works well with a Sound Devices 302 mixer but I have to use Hifi Asio Bridge to get the Ultrastudio output working with the audio interface inputs, at the same time, i.e. you cannot use the decklink output directly with a windows audio interface. Mac core audio maybe different.

It's a shame because I can tell you that both the XLR mic preamp and 1/4" inputs on the US 4K mini seem to be very high quality within Avid.

TobiaMontanari

PostSun May 01, 2022 9:04 am

Hi,
After setting up my UltraStudio 4k Mini for video referencing inside DaVinci Resolve, I would like to use it as a sound card too for my headphones and XLR mic inputs.
Was this issue ever solved or is still a known problem?
Thank you.

P. Fauntleroy

PostWed May 04, 2022 11:49 pm

What version of Resolve are you running

MontgomerySutton

PostMon Jul 25, 2022 9:15 pm

Shocking that his hasn't been addressed on a $1,000 device. Why is the XLR input even there? Can anyone from BMD please respond to this thread?
Montgomery Sutton
Producer, Cinematographer
montgomery@lupoblu.com

lupo blu, LLC (www.lupoblu.com)
Salt Pillar Productions (www.saltpillarproductions.com)

URSA Mini 4.6K | Red Scarlet Dragon | Canon C100 mkII | BMPCC (x2)

geo303

PostTue Aug 02, 2022 11:21 am

I recently had an email conversation with Blackmagic about this topic. I initially asked them for help using the microphone and line inputs on my Ultrastudio 4K mini which I couldn´t get to work.

This is the response I got:

Please be aware that the device does not support single AES input with a microphone input, you will also need a video paired with this. When recording with the audio input a video signal is also required even if it is a black video. Please attempt to input a video signal and then add the audio with the microphone over the top of it.

My answer to this was:

Really? Who would ever need a microphone input on an Ultra Studio Device which only works with a video signal? Having a black video signal present is much too complicated for daily use.
I was considering getting an Ultra Studio 4K Extreme device as well. Is it the same there too? The Extreme has 8 XLR inputs on the back. Are these also not usable as simple Audio-in ports?
I did buy the Ultrastudio 4k Mini under the impression that it is a mobile video device where I do not need to cary an extra Audio interface for doing voiceovers because it has an XLR Port on the front.
It would have been good to know in advance that this port is basically useless…

Blackmagic support´s answer:
I have tested this workflow just to clarify and without the presence of video then there is no way to just capture the Audio input.

In regards to the UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 this behaviour is the exact same, with all of our Video I/O videos this is to be expected.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Daniel Sievert

PostMon Jan 15, 2024 5:42 am

Obviously this is an old thread now but I've just had the same set of discoveries and disappointments as everyone else here.

One thing I wanted to flag - which I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned yet - but if you open Media Express's capture tab (with a video input present on the Ultra Studio 4K Mini, it also activates the audio inputs and makes them available to Core Audio.

I've tested mine with a direct loop-back via SDI (SDI Out to SDI In) then set Media Express Project Video Format to match the SDI settings. Once the Capture Tab in Media Express is active and the Microphone input in Desktop Video is selected, the audio signal from the microphone input becomes available in System Preference> Sound (on Mac).

It also makes the Ultra Studio 4K Mini available as an Audio Input and Output Device device in Resolve's Preferences> Video and Audio I/O. Once selected as a source in Resolve's Audio I/O section, the 16 audio I/O of the 4K Mini become available as sources and destinations in Fairlight's Patching dialogue and then the microphone input (Ch.1) can be recorded down to a track.

Note, however, that because the audio inputs on the Ultra Studio 4K Mini are supposed to be a function of the video capture section of the devices, they have have incremental latencies applied to them that sync with frame-rates. i.e. At 24fps you'll get a standard input latency around 43ms. Hence, I'd suggest setting your Media Express Project to 60 fps. It reduces the input latency to something manageable.

Note also, I've tested recording into Nuendo with Media Express running and it works as well, so theoretically it should mean it can be used with any Core Audio system and potentially also on Windows and Linux in the same way (yet to test these). All you need is a single SDI cable and to remember to start up Media Express and go to the capture tab before you open your audio recording program.

One last thing to note is that Media Express releases it I/O when not the foreground app, which means as soon as you click on another app the audio drops out. However, if you minimize the app to the Dock (on Mac) it retains the I/O and audio is usable in both apps.

Understanding the mentality that the audio inputs are a function of the video capture engine, makes sense as to why the audio inputs aren't available without all of this trickery. HOWEVER...I can't think of a reason that anybody would use an XLR microphone input with Phantom Power during the log and capture of a tape / reel / clip etc. That to me is a faulty premise and sends the wrong message about the capabilities and function of the Ultra Studio 4K Mini (in my opinion).

Hopefully BMD can give us Ultra Studio 4K Mini owners and addition inside of Resolve that activates the capture system and makes Ultra Studio devices' audio inputs work like a normal audio interface. Or, preferably give us a functionality update to the 4K Mini and others that allow them to operate in "Audio Interface Mode" and additionally has a soft-power-off function so that I don't have to keep unplugging the IEC cable or else leaving it sucking dust through itself 24/7....please and thank you.

Hope this helps someone though.

Return to Post Production