Teranex HDMI-SDI 12G PoE Issue

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

mjezierski

Teranex HDMI-SDI 12G PoE Issue

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 5:31 pm

I have 20 of the Teranex HDMI-SDI 12G video converters - 16 of which all run with PoE, but four do not. I've looked in the manual, within the software, and looked at the DIP switches seeing if there was some oddball or undocumented setting that would cause this. The four that do not power with PoE do power up with a C13/14 power cable. These converters work otherwise - I would just like to eliminate four bulky power cables in the rack and replace with PoE.

For anyone who asks - test setup was the same for all 20 converters - same cables, same sources, same receiver, etc. All running the latest 7.0.1 software

Xtreemtec

Re: Teranex HDMI-SDI 12G PoE Issue

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 7:09 pm

Are you sure you have feed it from a PoE+ source? Normal PoE is officially not enough to power the teranex, Might be that it runs. But officially it needs PoE+ ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

mjezierski

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 4:11 pm

Yes. It is PoE+. I used the same switch, cable, and switchport for testing the other converters that did work properly.

But you did give an idea - just for grins I'll use a PoE+ injector instead of a switch and see if that will power up the converters in question

mjezierski

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 7:25 pm

*whomp whomp whomp*

Used the PoE+ injector and I hear a slight buzzing inside the converter unit but nothing comes on. Switch to AC power and it lights up and the fans spin up. I verified the PoE+ injector unit with another PoE+ device and it powered up properly.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 9:55 am

Well in that case, Shoot a support ticket as it seems these units units are "defective"

Not sure what they will do with it, as they work ok with Power supplied. But since you want to run them on PoE might be worth checking out.

I must note!!! We had a topic a few weeks back of someone that was running his Teranex Mini's also from PoE.. And they completely died after 1 year of running. While other units that had the same age running mains power still going strong...

We have about 8 teranex minis in our OBV. 2 years running on mains without any problems.. Just a note.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Post Production