-> BRAW file converter?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Timber

-> BRAW file converter?

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 11:37 pm

Given the state of things between Apple and RED putting the kibosh on ProRes RAW, is there any likelihood of BMD making a way of _CREATING_ BRAW files from DNG or other proprietary RAW file sources? One that can also be used in Capture One, Lightroom, After Effects, etc.? To end the tyranny of DNG?

Uli Plank

Re: -> BRAW file converter?

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 5:13 pm

I don't think so. It's camera specific.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 5:23 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I don't think so. It's camera specific.

Generic camera emulation will solve this. DNG is also camera specific in this sense by the way, and so is cineform raw. Doesn't stop from encoding to them from other formats.
1) reshoot
2) hire a guy
3) moca bro
Apply in whichever order, hope it helps

Frank Engel

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 6:56 pm

BRAW is not a "true" RAW format. Unlike the case with DNG, a conversion to BRAW would cause a loss of information, not only due to the compression.

MishaEngel

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 7:53 pm

Frank Engel wrote:BRAW is not a "true" RAW format. Unlike the case with DNG, a conversion to BRAW would cause a loss of information, not only due to the compression.

Same is valid for any form of lossy compressed raw like .R3D 4:1 or ARRIRAW which is also logged from 16bits to 12 bits.

antoine

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 9:56 pm

MishaEngel wrote:
Frank Engel wrote:BRAW is not a "true" RAW format. Unlike the case with DNG, a conversion to BRAW would cause a loss of information, not only due to the compression.

Same is valid for any form of lossy compressed raw like .R3D 4:1 or ARRIRAW which is also logged from 16bits to 12 bits.

There will be a loss and there will be a "color space" / CFA change from the original DNG / ProRes RAW to Blackmagic RAW. Question is, will this loss be acceptable for the targeted use of the converted file, and what can we do to minimize it?
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 11:50 pm

antoine wrote:there will be a "color space" / CFA change from the original DNG / ProRes RAW to Blackmagic RAW.

Blackmagic RAW clips from our cameras are still in native sensor space/sensor RGB without white balancing, and converted to the destination gamut during decode same as we do for cDNG.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

antoine

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 2:48 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Blackmagic RAW clips from our cameras are still in native sensor space/sensor RGB without white balancing, and converted to the destination gamut during decode same as we do for cDNG.
But : https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicraw
Images are encoded using a custom non‑linear 12‑bit space
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

MishaEngel

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 4:42 pm

antoine wrote:Images are encoded using a custom non‑linear 12‑bit space

Same as all current RAW formats except X-OCN

Justin Jackson

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 6:20 pm

Didn't the new Video Assists add BRAW recording options? That is outside of the camera... does that only work with BM cameras? I am guessing so.. but even so, how does my BMPCC4K or Ursa Mini or whatever send the BRAW data out of the camera so the new Assist can record it in BRAW? Was that part of a firmware update to the cameras that now allows it to be sent over HDMI? Or is it only for cameras with SDI output?
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I don't think so. It's camera specific.

It doesn't have to be at all. Such a functionality could be written by BM if they wish, but I don't think it will ever happen. Whatever happens in camera can happen outside it if there is camera metadata provided with RAW video data. I would actually prefer if eg. de-nosing would be made optional (even for a price of bigger files).

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 8:47 pm

antoine wrote:
CaptainHook wrote:Blackmagic RAW clips from our cameras are still in native sensor space/sensor RGB without white balancing, and converted to the destination gamut during decode same as we do for cDNG.
But : https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicraw
Images are encoded using a custom non‑linear 12‑bit space

That refers to it not being linear or log encoded (our DNGs are log encoded in sensor space). "Colour space" refers to both gamut and gamma together (although Resolve uses the term JUST for gamut) so with the gamma being 'custom' it is being referred to in that link as a custom space so that people understand its not 12bit linear or log but something different, the gamut is native sensor RGB though.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Timber

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 7:01 am

Thanks everyone for the high-quality responses. I'd love to hear from a BMD engineer whether it could/will be done?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 11:18 am

In general we don't comment on potential future releases sorry.

MishaEngel

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 1:53 pm

CaptainHook wrote:In general we don't comment on potential future releases sorry.

And that worked out pretty well for BMD, all the recent releases with normal delivery times where a great succes.

Return to Post Production