Blackmagic RAW 1.6 - Premiere Pro bug

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jonkristinsson

Blackmagic RAW 1.6 - Premiere Pro bug

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 11:30 am

Hi,

We've encountered a bug exporting Blackmagic RAW footage from Premiere Pro.

On all our machines, exporting a sequence with BRAW footage results in an error half-way through:

Using Hardware acceleration we get:

Code: Select all
Export Error
Error compiling movie.

Accelerated Renderer Error

Unable to produce frame.

Writing with exporter: H.264
Writing to file: \\?\P:\1136_IMP_RegionH_udvikling\Ouput\Før_Interviews_v01_1.mp4
Writing file type: H264
Around timecode: 00:06:02:19
Rendering at offset: 360.880 seconds
Component: H.264 of type Exporter
Selector: 9
Error code: -1609629695

Using Software mode we get:

Code: Select all
Export Error
Error compiling movie.

Render Error

Render returned error.

Writing with exporter: H.264
Writing to file: \\?\P:\1136_IMP_RegionH_udvikling\Ouput\Før_Interviews_v01_2_1.mp4
Writing file type: H264
Around timecode: 00:04:47:14
Rendering at offset: 285.680 seconds
Component: H.264 of type Exporter
Selector: 9
Error code: -1610153867

This is running BRAW Plugin 1.6.
Everything works fine if we downgrade to BRAW Plugin 1.5.2, which is what we'll do for now.

This happens on multiple machines, both PC and Mac.

My PC's specs are:
i7-6800K
2x 1080 GTX (Studio Drivers 26.21.14.4128)
Windows 10 v: 10.0.18362 Build 18362

Nick Lavigne

Re: Blackmagic RAW 1.6 - Premiere Pro bug

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 8:46 pm

You should export to dnxhr/hd or prores then to h.264 this is best practices on premiere especially when effect are involved.
Last edited by Nick Lavigne on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 5:01 am

Hi, are you able to provide a project file and a small amount of media that reproduces the issue?
We have tried to repro here on both Mac and Win but don't have any problems. Thanks!
http://www.captainhook.co.nz/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lut/

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Snagel

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Same problem here. The export crashes every time. H264, Prores...

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 7:33 pm

Are you able to provide a project file and a small amount of media that reproduces the issue? We still haven't received one or been able to reproduce the issue ourselves.
http://www.captainhook.co.nz/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lut/

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

ematson5897

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 5:54 pm

Just started having this problem in the last few days as well. Are your clips scaled? The error has gone away once all our clips were set to 100% scale

We also had success rendering small chunks on the timeline one at a time, and then exporting using previews

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 7:46 am

Same exact render problem here with the same error messages.

Shot BRAW for a client that only edits in Premiere Pro. I told them to just edit it Resolve, they said no, so I told them to make proxy files and use those in Premiere, and they said no. Instead, they are stubbornly editing BRAW in latest Premiere 2020 with the v1.6 BRAW plugin on Mac running 10.14.6.
They haven't been able to render anything out of Premiere from the BRAW source files.

Playback and editing works, but the sequence will not render and will not export. Premiere Pro just hangs and throws up errors at every attempt to render or export. The "use previews" export option doesn't fix it. Changing the export codec doesn't fix it. Changing timeline settings, changing clip settings, nothing fixes it.

I've even tried exporting an XML and pulling it into a fresh Premiere Pro project, but that didn't work either. There's not a single effect on the timeline, this is just the first assembly cut and I can't get it to kick out a simple export. I cannot figure out what the problem is with it.

In an effort to at least get an assembly edit out, I had the client export an XML and pulled that into Resolve. All of the clips are way out of sync relative to the original sequence. Totally useless.

In another attempt to fix the issue, we rendered all the BRAW to ProResLT in Resolve. Then in Premiere Pro set the BRAW clips offline to relink them to the ProResLT. That made a complete mess as all the clips in the sequence have shifted sync — not audio-video sync, instead it's literally as if the clips were all slipped in the timeline. It makes no sense how that could happen as the ProResLT proxies have exactly the same timecode as the original BRAW files.

They are going to have to start over completely and recut the assembly from scratch using the ProResLT proxies.

How is anyone using BRAW in Premiere Pro at all for any normal workflow? It appears to be totally broken in that app.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Return to Post Production