DeckLink Studio Card - Video Output Clip

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jameshoward

DeckLink Studio Card - Video Output Clip

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 6:59 pm

The SMPTE color bar chart with pluge has a negative black chip often used for adjusting monitors. Its level is below 7.5 (setup) under NTSC specifications and below 0 (zero) when working in HD. I have noted the DeckLink Studio Card on output "clips" the negative black chip. There is no difference between the 0 black and negative black chips on HDMI or component SD outputs (SDI not tested). This is also true on the other end of the luminance scale; any level sent through the card above 100 is clipped to a hard 100. Video levels beyond the 0-100 range can be observed within the editing application and confirmed on a software waveform. Video exported as a file and processed through a competing I/O card reproduces a range greater that 0-100.

The DeckLink Studio card does NOT apply these chips to input video.

Has anyone observed the output clip, and is there a solution? Perhaps a (black)magic DIP switch. I am not suggesting operating beyond specified broadcast levels, but we all like a bit of headroom.
James Howard

Alex Gerulaitis

Re: DeckLink Studio Card - Video Output Clip

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 8:24 am

Apologies for "bumping" this - it was me who suggested James posts here in a hope to find the answer to the mysterious output level clipping.

Has anyone observed behavior James is describing, and if so, is there a fix?

Thanks!
Alex Gerulaitis | System Administrator | DMED

Return to Post Production