Intensity Extreme forces certain settings

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

ejonessss

Intensity Extreme forces certain settings

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 12:31 am

i just got the Intensity Extreme for the mac and it seems to force input processing and ntsc.

if i try to set the hd settings i get a blank screen in quicktime player.

imovie (the star icon) does not recognize the device and neither does final cut.

does the software and drivers perform a basic disk speed check to decide if the hd settings are compatible ( if so please remove that checking.

if i set it to downconvert 1080i to anamorphic or letterbox sd in the prefs and use h264 i quicktime 7 then i get the image.

if i try device native then it does not work.

i know it is not hdcp protection because my cable box does not even enable the protection not even on on demand and ppv shows.

to be extra safe i even got a dvi to hdmi muxing unit described at

http://i49.tinypic.com/ejuemr.jpg

and still the same. so it cant be copy protection.

are the hd settings only used to send stream to your other hardware like the

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... eckstudio/

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... ckshuttle/

and other ssd recorders?

in quicktime h264 is for 640x480 sized images witch is ok for ipod and ipad but i want full hd as advertized

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Blackmag ... INTSTBEXT/

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: Intensity Extreme forces certain settings

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 5:47 pm

ejonessss wrote:i just got the Intensity Extreme for the mac and it seems to force input processing and ntsc.

It should not be. Where do you see this that makes you assume that? There is a default video output which is set to NTSC, but that can A, be changed and B, has no effect on most apps other than FCPX. It's merely the default output setting on the card when no app is controlling it. But you're speaking of input anyways.

ejonessss wrote:imovie (the star icon) does not recognize the device and neither does final cut.

iMovie will not recognize it. FCP7 will and should and FCPX will only recognize it if you are on OS X Lion or higher.

ejonessss wrote:does the software and drivers perform a basic disk speed check to decide if the hd settings are compatible ( if so please remove that checking.

It does not, but the installer does include a Disk Speed Utility which you can run to check the setup of your drives. It does not give feedback to our card to limit formats. It just gives a readout of what framerates your current setup can support.

ejonessss wrote:if i set it to downconvert 1080i to anamorphic or letterbox sd in the prefs and use h264 i quicktime 7 then i get the image.

if i try device native then it does not work.

This has my confused. I'm not quite tracking here. Are you using Media express to capture? The Intensity Extreme will not be able to capture directly to H.264. What app specifically (version number) are you using to capture and what is your OS?

ejonessss wrote:i know it is not hdcp protection because my cable box does not even enable the protection not even on on demand and ppv shows.

to be extra safe i even got a dvi to hdmi muxing unit described at

http://i49.tinypic.com/ejuemr.jpg

and still the same. so it cant be copy protection.

Firstly, i'd be surprised to know that your cable box doesn't encrypt everything. They almost all do. As for the PS3 it's all encrypted. So you would appear to be using a box that strips the HDCP which involves a device with a chip from a TV (or something) to do a double handshake. One with the source device and one with the display device. This is obviously out of our control. For sanity sake, I recommend trying the HD Component out of your PS3 connected directly to the Intensity Extreme so that we can first and formost make sure the rest of the workflow is working properly.

ejonessss wrote:are the hd settings only used to send stream to your other hardware like the...

No, they'll work with any device properly configured.
ejonessss wrote:in quicktime h264 is for 640x480 sized images witch is ok for ipod and ipad but i want full hd as advertized

Also we don't support this format, which leads me to believe (as I asked for clarification above) that you are trying to use a different app to capture. This may or may not be a problem, but either way you'll definitely need to match the frame rates and resolution in order to do so.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

ejonessss

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 pm

quicktime player.

eventually i got it working i did a sort of bait and switch trickery.

i used a ram disk to allow the black magic capture program to let hd in and then set to use quicktime's hdv codec then unmounted the ram disk and i am still able to record hdv with no frame drops.

hdcp the cable box never had it enabled however if the content owners want to they can send the flag.

i think it is only the ps3 and some blu ray players may but since hdmi is really dvi with encryption and the audio signal (or the encryption is done by the audio stream) you can convert hdmi to dvi and lose the encryption since i think the hdmi to dvi cable tells the device "i dont support hdmi so i will give you dvi instead".

since dvi never supported encryption it can be used to record game play.

i never ran across an encrypted signal so i dont know that you would get.

what happens if you try to record encrypted signal?

would you just get a blank screen or a corrupt stream like you would get on a mini dv camera if the stram is corrupt or does the device put on screen something about copy protection.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 10:53 pm

ejonessss wrote:what happens if you try to record encrypted signal?

would you just get a blank screen or a corrupt stream like you would get on a mini dv camera if the stram is corrupt or does the device put on screen something about copy protection.

It varies. When you connect TV's sometimes an error will pop up and say HDCP link failed. when you connect our devices it's always blank.

ejonessss wrote:hdcp the cable box never had it enabled however if the content owners want to they can send the flag.

Actually it can be globally activated as it is with Comcast boxes, or it can be activated by the content provider. A few years ago they relied heavily on the content provider to do this, but over night a firmware flash later and suddenly it didn't matter all output was encrypted. So yeah, what you're saying here is possible, but different for many people.

ejonessss wrote:since dvi never supported encryption it can be used to record game play.

So using a HDMI to DVI cable on the PS3 will allow for gameplay footage out to be captured? Interesting, I must test this.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

ejonessss

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 11:28 pm

is where i turned to this to since there is the possibly of encryption so now i am futureproof until another change that may not get enough consumer outcry/backlash.

i suspect that the encryption is handled over the audio stream being why dvi is used.

also back at the time when hdmi came out they could have forced the removal of dvi but consumer outcry/backlash stopped that because then users would have to upgrade and be stuck with useless electronics that would end up in the landfill.

ejonessss

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 11:04 am

update:

i tried final cut both pro and express and the intensity was not being detected.

do you know of any mac programs that can capture from the device other than your own?

infodoc

PostMon Nov 04, 2013 12:09 am

I would also appreciate a response to this. In particular it seems to be "recognized" in principle as a dropdown option in Skype and iMovie, but is black screen. Also, I could swear people were using this for Screenflow and the hoopla was all about how this seems to work with "just about anything" (I realize you don't advertise that per se).... but still, very frustrated in trying to make it work with anything other than Media Express.
Thanks.

Return to Post Production