Layer masks in Resolve

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

adamroberts

Layer masks in Resolve

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 2:03 pm

Noobie question. Done a fair bit of searching but not finding what I'm after. Probably because I'm using the wrong terms. So bear with me and correct me where I've got it all wrong.

:-)

I have a shot that I want to "move" a masked area over in the shot, duplicating it. It happens to be an damaged area on a wall that I want to cover with a piece of good wall from the same shot.

If I was doing this in an NLE I'd put a duplicate of the shot on a layer above the original, then move the shot (pan and tilt) and finally mask the area I did not want visible.

How can I do something similar in Resolve 9?

I know how to do layer and parallel nodes, I just can't seem to find a way to pan the footage in a single node. Every time I pan the masked footage it pan the footage in all nodes.

Please enlighten me. :-)

Thanks

Steve MacMillan

Re: Layer masks in Resolve

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 4:05 pm

As far as I understand it. PTZR Transforms are not contained in a node, they exist outside of the node tree.
Resolve Lite 10.1.4
MacPro 5,1 2.66Ghz, 48GB, OSX 10.8.5
GUI Nvidia Q4000, GPU Nvidia GTX680, Decklink 3D+

adamroberts

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Yeah, that seems to be the case. I was hoping that I was just doing it all wrong.

I guess I'm gonna have to take the clip through After Effects before I do the grade. Was hoping to avoid that.

Ah well.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 2:09 am

Something to try, with the good wall clip on track 2, bad wall on 1, use a window on 2 to isolate just the part you want and feed the key out to the Alpha output of the node graph.
Resolve will use that alpha out of track 2 as a alpha in for track 1 and replace the track 1 image based on the window position and its image. More detail on this process in the manual. Color chapter i think.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

adamroberts

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 7:12 am

Thanks Peter, that sounds like a good fix, will have a look at that.

adamroberts

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks for the tip Peter. Found the info. Page 496 in the manual - Compositing Using the Alpha Output.

Uses green screen compositing to demonstrate the concept be it easily applies to my situation.

:-)

Return to Post Production