Gamma Shift Issues

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Shaheryar Ahmed

Gamma Shift Issues

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Ok I am making a promo for a theatre play which will be released on the internet and will be projected before the play. I shot it on Canon 550D which was the only available camera. I used the Netural settings. I edited with the native h264 codec in Adobe Premiere CS6 and took the locked picture in After Effects CS6. There I denoised the footage with Neat Video. I exported a DPX sequence with the following settings:

Full Range and 16 bit.

I couldnt somehow conform the DPX with an EDL in Resolve Lite 9, so I did scene detection which worked. I color graded the entire promo. Now I exported it to DNxHD mov files as I am on Windows. I previewed the files in Quicktime and there is gamma shift. Its all washed out. I take it to Premiere its better but not what it was in Resolve. So, I exported again this time I did in TIFF 8 bit RGB. I preview them and they are fine. They are super good in Premiere. I export to H264 and again gamma shift. Please help me out. Where have I gone wrong? Should I do DPX in the beginning or do I do a 10bit DNxHD? Please help me out. No, I am not using a proper color grading monitor. I am using a 23' LED Samsung Synch Master SA300. HELP!
-SHAHERYAR AHMED-

Shaheryar Ahmed

Re: Gamma Shift Issues

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Also the TIFFs are being interpreted in Premiere and After Effects as 30 fps. It should be 24 as that is what I exported it to. Please help me.
-SHAHERYAR AHMED-

Shaheryar Ahmed

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Found out about it. Stupid quicktime gamma issues on windows.

But why is the TIFF sequence showing up as 30 frames per second in After Effects? It should be 24. Also, is my monitor any good? Its Samsung SynchMaster SA300 LED 23 inch.
-SHAHERYAR AHMED-

Shaheryar Ahmed

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 6:08 pm

Solved it. Premiere and After Effects by default take in image sequence at 30 frames per second. Just changed it in the preferences.
-SHAHERYAR AHMED-

Return to Post Production