Apple Cinema Display with calibration

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

ergin ozturk

Apple Cinema Display with calibration

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 10:15 am

Hi

I have MacPro with DeckLink HD Extreme 3D.
My external monitor is Apple Cinema Display (24") (connected to Declink HD)
I have RED camera and I shoot edit and grade my music videos. I am using Davinci Resolve (full) but I am not professional doing everyday color correction works. I do only my projects.

i almost read all forums for professional grading monitors like Dream color, FSI etc..Yes it seems it is a "must" if you a professional colorist. but in my case i try to understand the optimum case.

As far as i understand i need a monitor with REC 709 support and Apple Cinema Display does not have it. And even i have such a monitor with REC 709 then have also need a calibrator tools like (Spyder 3)

What IF i calibrate my Apple Cinema Display with any calibration software like (Spyder pro etc) what will i miss???

thanks in advance.

rick.lang

Re: Apple Cinema Display with calibration

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 12:34 pm

It may be a quick and dirty solution but it may work for your purposes: select the sRGB setting in System Preferences / Display and modify the gamma from 2.2 to 2.4 and save as a custom Rec709. There are software solutions including Apple's own calibrating software that purport to give good calibration results.
Rick Lang

Michael Phillips

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 12:42 pm

It would also depend on what your eventual delivery and viewing requirements will be? Are these projects destined for broadcast or DVD or mobile and Internet streaming? If the latter, then a properly calibrated RGB monitor will be fine - if the former, then calibrated Rec.709 is what you're after.

Michael
Michael Phillips
Consultant
www.linkedin.com/in/phillipsm

mikeburton

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 3:22 pm

You'll almost definately need to bring the brightness way down on the Apple Cinema Displays. Out of the box they tend to be WAY too bright. Unfortunately Apple doesn't give you Monitor controls like Dell does which is why people recommend monitors like the Dreamcolor, FSI, Cine-Tal, etc.
Mike Burton
Pretty Moving Pictures, LLC
Check out my Resolve 9 Training at: http://www.cmivfx.com/tutorials/view/486/DaVinci+Resolve+Introduction
http://www.cmivfx.com/tutorials/view/487/DaVinci+Resolve+3D+Dailies+Setup+Featuring+GoPro

ergin ozturk

PostThu Oct 11, 2012 9:50 am

But what i really wondering is even i pay 2K+ to monitors like Eizo, HP Dreamcolor i will still need a calibration device? Only FSI has factory calibrated solution but since i am out of USA i do not have that option.

Michael Phillips

PostThu Oct 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Regardless of monitor, you will always want to have a calibration device to ensure monitor is maintained at the proper levels for whatever the work might be - be it RGB or Rec.709, etc. I believe the one with the Dreamcolor is like US$350.00.

Michael
Michael Phillips
Consultant

Nick Bedford

PostThu Oct 11, 2012 12:46 pm

I have my iMac 27" IPS display on 50% brightness.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Larry Sellers

PostFri Oct 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Do you trust those $300 scopes for calibration? I guess it's better than nothing but its not calibrating the right way. You'd be better off paying a pro to come in with ten of thousands of gear to do it for you every six months.

Michael Phillips

PostSat Oct 13, 2012 7:45 pm

I am referring to the puck that was designed by X-Rite for the HP Dreamcolor which also did the color science for the HP Dreamcolor. '

Michael
Michael Phillips
Consultant

Return to Post Production