Mountain Lion problem with F.C.P. and Intensity Pro

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

John Gilluley

Mountain Lion problem with F.C.P. and Intensity Pro

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 7:01 pm

I just updated my Mac Pro to Mountain Lion from OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. At the same time I updated to Blackmagic Desktop Video 9.6.4 so that everythng was up-to-date.

Help! Now I find FCP Studio 7 repeatedly stops with 'dropped frames' warnings when playing ProRes 422 projects (my main workflow). These ProRes projects flew along fine before my 'upgrade'.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? As the OS and the Blackmagic driver are the new additions. I suppose either could be the cause. Do I have the Blackmagic driver configured wrongly? I've never had a problem setting it up before. Or is this a Mountain Lion problem?

Oh, monitor output in FCP X also doesn't work! (Still OK in FCP 7).

Any thoughts appreciated!

John G

Kit - Mac Pro (2009): Mountain Lion: Intensity Pro: 9.6.4 Drivers: FCP 7: Final Cut X:

spuy767

Re: Mountain Lion problem with F.C.P. and Intensity Pro

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 9:05 pm

I don't know if the problem is related, but I can no longer use Quicktime Capture on my intensity device after upgrading to 10.8. The device simply no longer shows up in the selection of capture devices.

John Gilluley

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 9:44 am

I think the problem lies with 10.8 rather than the Intensity card. There is loads of Mountain Lion / FCP7 debate on the Apple forums, ranging from 'It works fine' to 'It definitely won't work' and everything in between. The whole thing is worryingly 'PC'-ish.

It seems that the order in which items are installed might make a difference. Problems often seem to happen if the OS or Intensity drivers are installed or updated with the editing package already on the system. The most reliable instal route on a Mac I've always found to be:

1. Instal OS (clean if possible - not overwrite of a previous OS).
2. Fit Intensity card.
3. Instal Intensity driver.
4. Instal FCP7 (or Premiere or whatever).

For quickness I took a chance and didn't do this when I updated to 10.8 - and the problems started!

I have now returned to Snow Leopard as I need FCP7 to be bullet-proof. I re-formatted the system drive and started from scratch using the method above. It took ages to put everything back, but worth it to have FCP7 rock-solid again.

John Gilluley

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 11:33 am

I just wanted to add something to my previous post.

My installation order missed out something important...

Once any editing packages have been installed it's usually required to re-install the Intensity drivers - as this adds certain components to the software. Such as (in Premiere) the various Blackmagic project settings.

Return to Post Production