Resolve FCPX Roundtrip Audio Missing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Snapperharmer

Resolve FCPX Roundtrip Audio Missing

PostMon Oct 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi there,

Apologies if I'm flogging a dead horse here but I've been unable to find any answers!

I'm round-tripping BMCC ProRes footage (with audio recorded into the camera) from FCPX into Resolve for grading and then back out to FCPX.

Everything seems to work as it should but I have no audio on the FCPX timeline after the fcpxlm import, even though the rendered files from Resolve do have audio, which can be heard both in the Finder and in the FCPX Events window.

The only workaround I've found so far is to drag the rendered clip from the Events viewer onto the same clip in the timeline using the "replace from start" command. All a bit tedious though!

Many thanks!

Paul

Rakesh Malik

Re: Resolve FCPX Roundtrip Audio Missing

PostTue Oct 22, 2013 3:35 am

I'm trying to work out a similar issue in round-tripping between Premiere and Resolve, but in my case the problem is due to the fact that unlike every other video-related application on the market, Resolve doesn't support 96KHz sample rates.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Snapperharmer

PostTue Oct 22, 2013 8:26 am

Just done a little experiment to eliminate a variable:

On my previous attempt I'd changed the audio levels in FCPX before outputting the XML, so this time I simply dragged a short clip into the FCPX timeline, changed nothing at all and did the round-trip into Resolve.

After grading I sent the project from Resolve (including clicking the "render audio" checkbox) back into FCPX and it's the same problem - no audio on the timeline, but the file from Resolve definitely has audio, which I can hear in the Finder and in the FCPX Event library.

Running out of ideas - or is this how it's meant to be? Do we have to add the audio back in again after an FCPX - Resolve round-trip?

P

LucaDG

PostTue Oct 22, 2013 8:30 am

Witch version of resolve ?

with Rel.9 this issue is normal

Whis Rel. 10 it would be work without problems
Luca De Grandis
Italy

Snapperharmer

PostTue Oct 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Aha! Thanks Luca. I'm using version 9 at the moment (came with my BMCC) and am really enjoying it apart from this daft audio issue that triples my workload!

So think it's an issue that will be resolved, so to speak, in version 10?

Thanks,

Paul

LucaDG

PostTue Oct 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Yes, I'm using Resolve 10 and the roundtrip with FCPX works ! Even if I edit the sound in FCPX changing al lot like Split-L or keyframeing the audio, not all is imported in resolve, so when you go back to FCPX you have to reconform the audio. But the audio itself go and back without problems.
Luca De Grandis
Italy

andreefe

PostThu Oct 31, 2013 8:26 am

Hi,
I had the same issue a couple of days ago and i realised that resolve doesn't just take a format of audio as its very specific to the audio it can read which i find weird in a way

Solution:
convert your audio to WAV at a sample rate of 4800khz and you'll be fine , replace the audio in FCPX with the converted version and export HTML and its all done .

I hope this helps

Andre
Efe Andre Efeturi
Director,Mix Engineer
DHPixels

Harlan Rumjahn

PostMon Jan 05, 2015 5:24 pm

I've tried several versions of Resolve, and now I've been using Resolve 11. Unfortunately, the program still does not handle audio well, at least in FCPX-Resolve roundtrips. Audio does not sync properly in Resolve when exporting the XML from FCPX, and audio does not sync properly when exporting the graded version from Resolve back to FCPX.

The clips themselves are fine and in the right order and timing during the roundtrip. The audio, though, is apparently randomly dropped or shifted. Also, any changes with Audio Effects performed on the audio in FCPX, do not get transferred in the roundtrip.

My tedious workaround has been to rely only on the clip sequence/timing making it through the roundtrip, and then re-building all of the audio (and redoing any audio effects) back in FCPX. Very tedious even with cutting and pasting all the audio (which surprisingly works without being pasted in out of sync)!

If anybody has a way to make this easier, please help! Thank you!

El-Zorro

PostMon Jul 04, 2022 3:53 pm

2022 And this issue still seems to occur. Did anyone find an answer? Replace from Start workaround appears to work but heaven forbid if I have any mixed audio.

Return to DaVinci Resolve