Resolve media management on long projects

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Tim Hitchen

Resolve media management on long projects

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 11:31 am

Hi All

I'm working on a 20 x 1 hour reality TV show. We're finding Resolve is working well on this sort of show but I need so more information on how to deal with large amounts of media.

The workflow we use is a simple round trip from Avid @ 1:1 8bit via AAF. Mac Pro, Resolve 8.2.2 lite.

My question is about making changes to grades in the timeline after I've done the initial render. Is there a way to get Resolve to render just the clips I've changed? When I do render out new clips do they over write the previous shot with the same Meta Data or do I create new media doing this and therefore need to export out a new AAF.

So many questions so little time.

Thanks for your time.

Tim

Pat Inhofer

Re: Resolve media management on long projects

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 11:39 am

You'll need to include which version of Resolve you're running (v8 or v9).

In v9 you can use timeline filtering to sort out any grades that have been changed in the last 1/2/4/6/24 hours. And then you can set a render job to render out just the clips captured in that sort. It's a fantastic new feature.

Or - if you feel more comfortable not relying on the software to manage this for you - flag each shot as you change it and then sort the timeline by flags.

In v8 - what I used to do is render each shot (or series of shots) immediately after tweaking. A pain, but the only to manage it.

Avid is smarter than FCP and will see the new renders as new clips. Even if you overwrite the old clips with the exact same file name, when you load up Avid it'll show the Media Offline and you'll need to relink. In theory- Avid is 100% correct. It is new media we're generating.

If you're doing an AMA-type workflow, I'll defer to others what will happen on your re-renders. I prefer to stick to non-AMA workflows which are more reliable.

I hope this helps.
Patrick Inhofer
Colorist | Owner, TaoOfColor.com & MixingLight.com

Subscribe to the awesome, free, and (mostly) weekly Color Grading Newsletter! www.TaoOfColor.com/newsletter

Tim Hitchen

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks Pati for the flag idea.

I'm using version 8.2.2 as I stated in my question. Not ready for 9 just yet. This is my first job on Resolve.
So I guess I need to spit out another AAF. I guess my question is, does Resolve keep track of the previous renders I've done?

Tim

Pat Inhofer

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Sorry. I missed 8.2.2 in your original post (and I checked twice!).

Yes, if you re-render and then export out the AAF the AAF will relink to the new re-renders and the original renders. Or rather, it should - in theory...

My Avid workflow is different than most and I never AAF out to Avid. I just relink. But Resolve should remember where the original renders are and re-rendering individual shots doesn't blow away the rest of the AAF data.
Patrick Inhofer

Subscribe to the awesome, free, and (mostly) weekly Color Grading Newsletter! www.TaoOfColor.com/newsletter

Paul Provost

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 3:30 pm

So I'm not clear. Do you need to export out new aff or not? If after overwriting the files with new renders causes avid to see the media as offline (which I believe is the behaviour I'm seeing in r9 and mc6) what is the correct method to re link the offline media in avid?
Maybe this could be added to the excellent new resolve documentation section on aff workflow...
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Pat Inhofer

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 3:47 pm

[quote="Restarter"]So I'm not clear. Do you need to export out new aff or not? If after overwriting the files with new renders causes avid to see the media as offline (which I believe is the behaviour I'm seeing in r9 and mc6) what is the correct method to re link the offline media in avid?/quote]

I hear you. I know enough of Avid to get myself in trouble, when it comes to media management. :roll:

I usually use the Media Tool to import the new footage and then relink it back to the timeline.
Patrick Inhofer

Return to Post Production