MacBook Pro

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Jasontalton

MacBook Pro

PostSun Oct 27, 2013 8:35 pm

I am in the process of buying a new mac and just want to make sure that the new macbookpro with the gt750m could run resolve. Real time play back is not a necessity but I would like to be able to transcode and apply looks to raw footage from the bmcc. I plan on buying a true online machine later on but was hoping the macbookpro could last me until then. What kind of performance do you think I would get out of it. Thanks

sean mclennan

Re: MacBook Pro

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 3:57 pm

Jasontalton wrote:I am in the process of buying a new mac and just want to make sure that the new macbookpro with the gt750m could run resolve. Real time play back is not a necessity but I would like to be able to transcode and apply looks to raw footage from the bmcc. I plan on buying a true online machine later on but was hoping the macbookpro could last me until then. What kind of performance do you think I would get out of it. Thanks

Will it run? sure. Will it run really well? Depends what you're going to do with it. I have it installed on my 2010 MBP. It launches. It runs. I can playback ProRes footage, but only at 22fps. RAW is maybe 12. That's with no nodes or CC applied. Just playback. Yours is much newer and has better graphics/cpu/ram...but will you be able to CC RAW footage with a couple nodes in realtime? I doubt it.

There is a reason there is no LAPTOP setup in the Resolve Configuration Guide.

Chris Kenny

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 4:19 am

My 2012 Retina MBP can generally manage 2-3 nodes in real-time, but a) that's not very many and b) it doesn't do it consistently enough that I'd ever consider using it with a client in the room.

The days when notebooks will be competent for real-time color grading are clearly in sight, but they have not quite yet arrived. (Well, there are some 15 pound monstrosities on the Wintel side targeted at LAN party gamers that might make a credible go of it, but nothing you'd generally want to use as a day-to-day notebook.)

That said, churning through dailies transcodes at less than real time should generally be OK, if you're planning to leave the thing overnight or whatever. We've done this many times on location. The imminent availability of a dual-GPU Mac Pro small enough to fit in a camera bag sure is interesting though.
DI Workflow, Nice Dissolve
http://nicedissolve.com

Scott Stacy

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 11:05 pm

I would be very helpful for someone from BMD step in here and provide their thoughts about the new top of the line MacBook Pro and its functional capability with Resolve with 2.5K and 4K footage (raw and ProRes). I would like to use it on set to do quick color grading before committing to shooting a bunch of takes (OCD tendencies, here). It might also be nice to use to on an airplane to get a primary correction on keepers.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 31, 2013 2:50 am

We have one on order and will add it to the Mac config guide when we have finished testing.

The current rMBP is likely to remain as the second best option as I expect the new model with more GPU ram will be better.

Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Scott Stacy

PostThu Oct 31, 2013 3:07 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We have one on order and will add it to the Mac config guide when we have finished testing.

Thanks, Peter. I will keep an eye out for your post.

I'm also looking forward to your thoughts about the new MacPro. This is a big upgrade year for me and I want to do it right by allocating the right resource to facilitate a smooth BMPC4K workflow.

Scott
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Jasontalton

PostThu Oct 31, 2013 11:11 pm

Thanks guys. I figure I will just use it for transcoding dailies for now and use a Mac Pro for true color grading later on.

mausfilms

PostSat Nov 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Hey Jason!

I took delivery of mine last week (2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB) and it eats up HD transcodes like leftover Halloween candy. I'm transcoding 3+ hrs of 29.97 Sony F5 material to ProRes HQ and a proxy with TC burn every day and it churns it out at an impressive 35fps. Not bad for a lap top. Great tool for dailies.

Scott Stacy

PostSat Nov 02, 2013 11:46 pm

mausfilms wrote:Hey Jason!

I took delivery of mine last week (2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB) and it eats up HD transcodes like leftover Halloween candy. I'm transcoding 3+ hrs of 29.97 Sony F5 material to ProRes HQ and a proxy with TC burn every day and it churns it out at an impressive 35fps. Not bad for a lap top. Great tool for dailies.

This is good to know. Have you tried ingestion any raw 2 or 4K footage?
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 17.4

Return to Post Production