Firmware upgrade failure. Decklink don't show up to kernel

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

racribeiro

Firmware upgrade failure. Decklink don't show up to kernel

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 11:11 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to use a Decklink on my Ubuntu Box. I've donwloaded and compiled 9.5.3a blackmagic module successfully. On my first attempt to use the software I learned that I needed verify firmware status.

http://opencast.jira.com/wiki/display/MH/Blackmagic+Design+Intensity+Pro+(PCIe)+HDMI

I've followed the steps until the command:

Code: Select all
/usr/bin/BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater update

After several minutes it was still on 0%, so I've canceled it.

Afterwards it was impossible to "see" the board using any Blackmagic command. I've hard rebooted the host.

After boot kernel module loads up but can't detect board as before... none of Blackmagic command works.

Is there any operation that I need/can to do on the board to revert it to its default condition? A jumper, a reset, a command, ...

Thanks,

Rui

Kaspar Ko

Blackmagic Design

Re: Firmware upgrade failure. Decklink don't show up to kern

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 3:22 pm

Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

Secondly what are the results of:

lspci | grep Blackmagic

and

modprobe | grep Blackmagic

Also check that the device file: /dev/blackmagic/card0 is present.

If that all does not work, do you have a PC or Mac machine that you can take the card to to see if it is recognized there? If you stopped the firmware update before it completed, then it's possible the firmware now on it is corrupted, which hopefully taking it to another machine will allow the firmware to update it properly. Else you may need to contact your local support office and see if they can assist you with a RMA and see if they can recover the card. But first thing I'd try is take the card to a Mac or PC and see if it can be detected there.
Kaspar Ko
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design USA

mchar

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:15 pm

We have a series of Linux Server Running Centos 6.3 running 2 Decklink Quad SDI cards. These Machines are ASUS Servers and in all cases the boards will not update the DeckLink Quad SDI firmware with the software provided under the Linux OS. The same boards will update fine when moved to a Windows 7 Desktop Machine. Is there anything we can do to help debug the firmware tool for Linux, as we use these in operation, and can not update the BlackMagind DeckLink Quad SDI without bring the servers down and disassembling them.

Jason Priebe

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:31 pm

We also have this problem with CentOS 6.3. Here's our output:

$ /usr/bin/BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater update 0
Firmware update failed[/] [                                       ] 0.00% completed

Jason Priebe

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 12:53 pm

I think I may have found something useful -- add "pcie_aspm=off" to the kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf. That seems to be the trick -- the BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater behaves more normally (reporting 0x1d instead of 0xff), and I'm able to capture frame data.

ncavanagh

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 4:20 pm

I too am running CentOS 6.3 and tried the "pcie_aspm=off" off trick mention above, but I am still not able to update the firmware. I am getting
# BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater update 0
Firmware update failed[-] [                                       ] 0.00% completed

Has anyone been able to update the firmare on Decklink cards in CentOS (or any RPM based Linux. Ubuntu 12.04 worked find for us)?

-N8

Return to Post Production