Replacing footage in Resolve

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Manny Edwards

Replacing footage in Resolve

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 1:03 pm

I have a color-corrected timeline in Resolve, and I've received a single clip with revised FX. Is it possible to replace the clip in Resolve? Or do I need to replace it in Final Cut and reconform?
Resolve 9 Lite
Mac OS 10.8.2
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

Andy Mees

Re: Replacing footage in Resolve

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Hey Manny
Are you looking for "any" way to do it or to see if there is a best prescribed automated way to handle it? I'm not the guy to help advise on the latter, but if it's the former you could just use the replace edit function:

From the manual, page 255:
Replace Edits
A Replace Edit automatically replaces a clip in the Timeline with a clip in the Source Viewer, using the duration of the Timeline clip to define the duration of the incoming media, and the positions of the Viewer and Timeline playheads to line up how the incoming media should be placed.
To replace a clip in the Timeline:
1. Move the playhead in the Timeline to the clip that you want to replace, and align it with a frame that you want to line up with a frame in the clip you want to replace edit into the Timeline.
2. Select a clip in the Media Pool to open it into the Source Viewer.
3. Move the playhead in the Source Viewer to the frame that you want to line up with the frame at the position of the playhead in the Timeline.
4. Click the Replace Clip button.
The clip in the Timeline is now replaced with the clip from the Media Pool.

Hope it helps
Andy

Manny Edwards

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 4:16 pm

That does help, thanks! So how do I add the new clip to the media pool? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question -- I'm still getting my head around Resolve.
Resolve 9 Lite
Mac OS 10.8.2

Manny Edwards

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Oh, nevermind. I did it in the media room. I opened the folder containing the clip I needed, right-clicked, and added it to the media pool.
Resolve 9 Lite
Mac OS 10.8.2

Manny Edwards

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Ultimately I wasn't able to replace that clip in Resolve. I had to replace it in FCP and export a new XML. Fortunately, when I import that into the same project, Resolve automagically applies the same grades to identical clips in the new timeline. That's kinda nice! :)
Resolve 9 Lite
Mac OS 10.8.2

Andy Mees

PostThu Oct 04, 2012 12:23 am

Good to know. Wonder why you had problems with the manual method ... and along the same lines, why (if the reel ID and timecode data not the same for both versions of the clip) just adding it to the media pool wasn't enough to cause it to show up as a conflict in your existing timeline?

There's another thread here about using ColorTrace (apparently another method by which grown up Colorists do all this black art stuff) ... has a pertinent comment from Peter C. on the subject of replacing the odd shot or two:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1471

Cheers
Andy

Manny Edwards

PostThu Oct 04, 2012 2:35 am

This clip had a different name, different timecode. It was output from the FX house and was different in every way except format. I wonder if that was the problem. :D
Resolve 9 Lite
Mac OS 10.8.2

Ola Haldor Voll

PostThu Oct 04, 2012 7:06 am

The few times I have a few new clips that needs to be replaced, I usually
  • Save a still of the clip that's going to be replaced
  • Make a new folder, call it "New clips" or anything that states that these are the new clips that's going to replace something
  • Find the clip in the Conform page
  • If a Force Conform won't do it, I make a new track (if one isn't there already - empty over the clip that needs replacing)
  • Drag-and-drop the clip from the Media Pool to the timeline - just like in any other NLE. Double check the length and the frames that things match.
  • Delete the original and move the replacement clip where the previous was.
  • Apply the grade, from the still we made earlier, to the new and replaced clip

This will become very tedious if there's tons of clips of course. But for small fixes, it's OK, if timecode, file names etc. doesn't match. IF they did, you would have a conflict with the clip, whereas you could right-click the conflict icon, and find the replacement clip in a list of clips that share timecode with the old clip.

DaveT

PostThu Oct 04, 2012 9:52 pm

There's a strange bug with Replace Edit in Resolve 9 - with the source parked on the frame you want, and the timeline on the first frame of the clip to be replaced, sometimes it will replace the material one frame out (visible in EDL view). Move to a different frame on the same source clip and it may go in correctly. Only solution I've found is to replace, check, & slip if necessary.

Hilary Glaps

Archiving resolve projects.

PostFri Oct 05, 2012 10:02 am

Archiving resolve projects.

I think for the archive of Resolve jobs
you should export the job to Resolve in a folder,
then by all grading, the POWER Grades will be exported in this folder.

Is that correct?

In resove 9, I do not find the relink function

Resolve Manual Page 121

Relinking Media
When you’ve used your file system to move media that’s used as a source clip in a Resolve project, you can use the ‘Relink Media’ command to relink one or more selected clips in the Media Pool to the new file path of the media.
To relink your Media Pool clips to a new location::
1. Select one or more clips in the Media Pool, Right-click one of the selected clips, and choose ‘Relink Media.’
The Relink Media window appears displaying the original path for the material, with controls for choosing a new directory.
2. Click the “...” button to the right of the “Change To” field, and then use the file navigation dialog to find the new location of the media file, select it, and click Open.
3. If you succeeded in finding the appropriate media file, click Change. Otherwise, click Cancel.
__

At my current job, the footage is at a different place,
I get the files not in the Media Pool Relink :(

I think is missing in the manual described Button.

Tank You

Hilary

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Hilary, the "Relink Media" menu is now called "Change Source Folder".
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Hilary Glaps

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 11:14 am

Hi Dwaine,

I have seen and tested the function.
With this function, I can link one or more files in a "folder" new.
With Footage from ARRI Alexa and RED, I have folder groups,
here it is apparently not possible to link an entire block footage.

This feature would save a lot of time.

Perhaps i make a mistake

Thank you
Hilary

Return to Post Production