Offline Clip Setup in DaVinci Resolve 9.0

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

dqford

Offline Clip Setup in DaVinci Resolve 9.0

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 1:47 pm

How do I add a timecode track to a clip so that I can use the offline clip mode to view reference movies in DaVinci Resolver 9.0?

I understand that in order to view an offline clip in sync with the viewer window in the Conform Panel, I need to have an offline clip with a timecode track.

However, not coming from a post background, I'm not sure how to add a timecode track to my footage, and if so, how to export it. Should I simply export an .xml, or does it have to be rendered with the file?

Often times I'm simply given an .mov file without any timecode as a reference movie, or is the timecode already embedded in the .mov file and I just don't know it?

What's the process?

John Sellars

Re: Offline Clip Setup in DaVinci Resolve 9.0

PostThu Oct 04, 2012 9:59 pm

To change it in Resolve only, right click on clip in Media Pool and select Clip Attributes.
To change or add TC in the file permanently, load into FCP, select clip and Modify/Timecode.

Be sure to have Quicktime player 7 on your system to quickly check if a file has timecode (click on the frame counter in the lower left, if it doesn't have TC it will only say Standard and Frame Number) CMD-J will also show it.

Return to Post Production