Sharpening options and tips fro DSLR footage.

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

James B.

Sharpening options and tips fro DSLR footage.

PostFri Oct 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Trying to figure out the best options for a round trip workflow from Premiere Pro and Resolve.

Normally I would sharpen as a very last step in my chain.

But since my final render will be from PPro CS6(Media Encoder) I am wondering if I should do any sharpening at all within Resolve? Or leave till Premiere as a very last step?

My original footage is DSLR(5DmkII) so I need to tweak every last bit of quality.
The 5D3 has more need of sharpening in post.

Any suggested settings, and or tricks, tips such as using a luminance mask for sharpening?

Ola Haldor Voll

Re: Sharpening options and tips fro DSLR footage.

PostSat Oct 06, 2012 9:20 am

I'd do sharpen in Resolve. You won't see any performance hit doing it there. Sharpening in PPro would force you to render the timeline over again.

Quality of sharpening, Resolve vs PPro. I guess I'm biased, but I'd stick to Resolve. I honestly haven't tried sharpening in PPro, but I'm willing to learn different.

James B.

PostSat Oct 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Ola
Thanks, but you never do a 'final' render in Resolve, or am I missing something? There is always the need to do sync sound, add titles, etc back in your NLE. Therefore wouldn't it make sense to do sharpening as a last step(in your NLE)? Perhaps there wouldn't be any noticeable difference

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostSun Oct 07, 2012 8:01 pm

James B. wrote:Ola
Thanks, but you never do a 'final' render in Resolve, or am I missing something? There is always the need to do sync sound, add titles, etc back in your NLE. Therefore wouldn't it make sense to do sharpening as a last step(in your NLE)? Perhaps there wouldn't be any noticeable difference

Given to get the colour corrections back to your NLE you have to render out of Resolve, theres not much reason not to sharpen in resolve, lowers the in NLE renders you have to do to see what things look like. Remember that Resolve you'd only have to render it on output, you get to see the sharpening in real time, in most NLEs for full quality you'd have to render each time you made an adjustment, look at it in motion then make another adjustment.

NLE route is likely to take longer.

Return to Post Production