How to modify CC versions?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Gray_Marshall

How to modify CC versions?

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Hello, helpful community

I'm a new user, but having a blast with Resolve 9B3 on Mac.

My question is: I have a grade where I like my Primary grade & want it applied to all clips from that take/angle. This happens naturally with the Linked clips. The problem is I want to modify the power-window for the secondary grade node for each individual shot (close-up, wide, medium, etc., all from the same interview clip). Since I might want to change the base grade later, I don't want to "copy local" or "Batch Copy". Ideally, I'd like to make my Primary CC Node "Linked" with an ability to "locally" vary my power-window settings.

Any suggestions for the "newbie"?

Thanks,
-Gray

Pat Inhofer

Re: How to modify CC versions?

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 1:51 am

Gray_Marshall wrote:I want to modify the power-window for the secondary grade node for each individual shot (close-up, wide, medium, etc., all from the same interview clip). Since I might want to change the base grade later, I don't want to "copy local" or "Batch Copy". Ideally, I'd like to make my Primary CC Node "Linked" with an ability to "locally" vary my power-window settings.

Any suggestions for the "newbie"?

Gray,

Well - keeping some nodes 'linked' and other nodes 'local' isn't possible. Shot-by-shot? Yes. Node-by-node? No.

There are a few approaches to your problem, but none are what I'd call easy unless you're judicious in always using the same exact number of nodes in your interview shots. You could then Group them. As you revise they'd each update and you can Group and un-Group as necessary. There are a couple of different ripple settings for how nodes get updated when Grouped and you want to make sure you set it correctly before going in the deep end on this workflow.

Gotta say - I've always found it a tricky workflow. But do a search in the manual on Grouping shots and see how that works for you.
Patrick Inhofer
Colorist | Owner, TaoOfColor.com & MixingLight.com

Subscribe to the awesome, free, and (mostly) weekly Color Grading Newsletter! www.TaoOfColor.com/newsletter

Return to Post Production