Resolve 10 Timed out renders and dropped frames

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Shane Oconnor

Resolve 10 Timed out renders and dropped frames

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 9:28 pm

Hello,

I've been experiencing a new quirk of resolve 10 that may have something to do with upgrading my iMac to Mavericks.

Whenever I am exporting a project of any decent length, ~10 minutes+, resolve will timeout and drop frames during a render.

The first solution I had to fix this was to close all other applications and reboot my computer and only run resolve. This worked for a bit, but as soon as my screen would turn off due to inactivity resolve would time out and drop frames. The same thing would happen if my screensaver would activate.

So the only solution now is to leave my computer completely on and untouched. In previous renders in resolve 9 and 10 of equal and greater length I have never had this problem and could easily use my computer for various other tasks without having resolve time out. I don't know if this is an issue with Resolve 10 or an issue with Mavericks but it is definitely a new occurrence.

My computer specs are as follows:

Mid-2011 IMac
Mac OSX 10.9
3.4GHz Intel Core i7
12GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB Graphics Card

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 10 Timed out renders and dropped frames

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 5:58 am

For Resolve V10, disable App Nap for Resolve using the following instructions:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57 ... mavericks/

Resolve 10.0.1 and higher will deal with this automatically, and you won't need to manually disable App Nap using the method above.

However, there is a potential issue with 10.0.1 and your OSX/GPU combination, so you should wait for the next 10.0.2 release before updating from 10.0.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 5:58 am

Hi guys, we just released 10.0.2 which includes support for a wider range of AMD GPUs using OpenCL on Mavericks.
Can you try this release?
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Shane Oconnor

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 2:03 am

The latest fix resolved these problems, but now I've run into some new ones.

I'm now on a different machine and I am running into multiple crashes across the board, not specific to the actions that I am preforming within resolve.

In addition I am noticed an issue with using sharpening on this machine. If I sharpen anything I will get flash frames of an intense color shift to either a red, green, or blue hue shift. If I take off sharpening it will fix the problem.

So crashing and color shifts with a brand new 15" Retina Macbook Pro.

Full specs:

15" rMBP
2GHZ i7
8 GB RAM
Intel Iris Pro 1GB graphics
Mavericks OSX
Resolve 10.0.2

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 2:09 am

Resolve does not support Intel graphics. But a new rMBP should also have NVIDIA graphics. Make sure your Mac System Prefs Energy Saver area has "Automatic Graphics Switching" NOT checked.
Dwaine Maggart

Shane Oconnor

PostMon Dec 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Ahhh. Yes, only the top tier rMBP comes with its own discrete NVIDIA graphics card. All the other rMBP's only come with intel graphics.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 16, 2013 9:53 pm

I don't believe that is true. All the semi-recent 15" and 17" MBP's have either AMD or NVIDIA graphics, in addition to the Intel HD graphics. Only the 13" and under MBP's have Intel HD graphics only.

And I should have clarified in my original response that a new 15" rMPB would have NVIDIA graphics as well. I forgot there was a 13" rMBP now, with Intel only graphics.
Dwaine Maggart

Shane Oconnor

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 11:57 pm

Check out apple's tech specs for their 15" rMBP's

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

They have two tiers for their 15" rMBP. $2,000 variant with only Intel graphics and a $2,600 model with a NVIDIA graphics card.

I picked up this laptop last week to do some remote grading while I was away from my main machine and based off of the current configuration guide it made it seem like any 15" rMBP would be compatible. No hard feelings, I've just got to return this machine and upgrade to the version with the dedicated graphics card. I will say though that the configuration guide should be amended to state that only the top tier 15" rMBP with dedicated NVIDIA graphics card is supported. Also, after looking at apple's site it looks like they are also selling a low end iMac with intel graphics only that I imagine would not be supported.

Thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks for that. I did not realize Apple had added 15" rMBP with Intel only graphics! When people call and say they have a 15" rMBP, I usually assume it will work with Resolve. I won't make that assumption going forward.

Hopefully when we update the config guide with the new Apple MacPro systems, we can add a note about the rMBP's.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to Post Production