2 Avid Round Trip questions

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Declan MacErlane

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 10:21 pm

Hi,

I have a long sequence with a lot of repeat (consistantly shot) cameras. All xdcam.

My workflow is consolidate & transcode to dnxhd media and AAF into Resolve and back.

If I stayed in Avid Symphony I would be able to do a lot of grading with SRC CLIP NAME, and then, on review, I make changes using SRC SEGMENT to individual clips without changing other clips.

In Resolve the same link between camera sources doesn't seem to persist. Does the consolidate/transcode break this? Is it an xdcam issue (ie no real "tapes"

My 2 questions are:

1. How do I make sure my export into Resolve retains tape info so I can use the same workflow in Resolve. On the Avid side or the Resolve side.

2. When in Resolve, what do I do to get the equevilant of SCR SEGMENT so I can revise a grade on one shot without affecting all others. Is there a better way than versioning?

I'm using Resolve on a Mac with full panels, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance,
Dec

Paul Provost

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 4:37 am

Yes the consolidate is breaking the association of multiple clips coming from the same file in resolve. You'll have to copy grades to the associated clips (or create "groups" which to me is not worth the effort).
To make further un associated adjustments to "remote" grades of clips from same file, versions is the way to go. This can be helpful though as a new version may work for a subgroup of associated clips.
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Declan MacErlane

Re: 2 Avid Round Trip questions

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 5:30 am

Thanks Paul,

That's a pain re consolidating, but at least now I know.

Cheers,
Dec

Paul Provost

Re: 2 Avid Round Trip questions

PostMon Dec 16, 2013 12:25 am

Well another tip is to sort timeline by A and C mode and you can see in context of edit or by timecode/reel which can speed up copy and paste.
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Return to Post Production