QTDecoder error when trying to bring media into Davinci

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

NicWassell

QTDecoder error when trying to bring media into Davinci

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi all

I've suddenly started having problems with Davinci Resolve. When on the Media page I try to bring a mov into the media pool, on clicking on the file I get this message:

"Error occured while trying to decode frame from clip '[file name and location]' using QTdecoder"

I've checked Activity Monitor and it is running. Force quitting it doesn't make any difference. Restarting Davinci doesn't fix it. I've reinstalled the latest Davinci Resolve version (10.0.2) and I'm running OSX 10.9. Restarting computer doesn't fix. I've run Resolve under Mavericks fine before and I can't think of any updates I've run in between the last time I used Resolve and now so I don't know what has changed. If I got to an old project I can play that media ok, it only seems to be new files being brought in. Codec doesn't seem to make a difference (can't bring in H.264, ProRes, etc).

Anyone have any ideas? Many thanks! Google doesn't seem to offer any solutions.

Nic

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: QTDecoder error when trying to bring media into Davinci

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 4:00 pm

If this is only happening with a couple of specific files, I'd say there is something about the files that the QTDecoder app does not like.

You say you can open an old project and play files OK. Make a note of the files in that project. Restart Resolve and open a new default project, and try to add one of those files into the Media Pool. Does that work?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

NicWassell

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 10:57 pm

Hi Dwaine

Thanks for responding. Looks like I was wrong about it effecting different files as I've just tested again and actually I've been able to read some H.264 and ProRes files fine. However other files do bring up the error. I can't see what is special about those files that it would cause a problem though - they are just Canon DSLR H.264 files. Do you have any ideas about why these might be causing a problem?

Also once the error occurs and I click ok, I cannot then see any other video files in the file system until I restart Davinci, as if the error has made video files invisible. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Nic

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 2:04 am

If a file crashes QTDecoder, then Resolve will not be able to read any QT files until you restart Resolve, which also restarts QTDecoder.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

NicWassell

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 11:45 am

Thanks. Any idea why it's not reading Canon DSLR H.264 files?

All the best

Nic

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 16, 2013 1:26 am

Hi, are you using Resolve 10.0.2?
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to Post Production