GTX 770 4GB Superclocked with resolve and premiere pro ?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Will Tejeda

GTX 770 4GB Superclocked with resolve and premiere pro ?

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 10:51 pm

So I just placed an order on this eVGA GTX 770 SC 4gb : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5A ... os_product

I recently sold my Radeon 6950+6970 crossfire setup/cards and wanted something with cuda of equal or slightly more power so that :

a) I could use less energy and keep my system a bit cooler/quieter.

b) Have all of the power in one main card so that my Premiere Pro performance is improved (since premiere only uses the main card for gpu tasks during edit)

Thus, after a couple hours worth of research I came across the GTX770 , it was in my price limit and offered everything i'll need for the immediate future until i eventually upgrade to a Titan SLi (or r9 290x CF if those end up to be as good as they're supposed to be)

My question is this: Are any of you out there using it with resolve? if so, what is your performance (fps) looking like :

- With/without noise reduction
-amount of nodes without issues on average
-during rendering
-working with raw footage
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

sean mclennan

Re: GTX 770 4GB Superclocked with resolve and premiere pro ?

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 3:48 pm

yes, I'm using this card in my windows 7 edit machine.

All things being equal, I'm running an i7 990X with 24GB RAM, Sandisk Extreme SSD for my OS drive, a 3 disk RAID O for my media drive and an OCZ SSD for my cache/previews.

I get realtime playback with up to 5 nodes of colour/power windows. Sometimes 6, but at least 5. *EDIT - working with BMCC RAW footage

NR seriously slows the machine down. However, I have found if I change the playback setting for "debater quality" to Optimize for playback I can get 22-23 fps playback with some normal temporal NR. Beyond that, I drop down to 18-20.

There was another setting I change as well, but I'm at work and only have Resolve Lite here so I can't find the NR setting I changed.

I also put my old GFX card back in my machine (560 Ti) and ran several tests with that. I got the best performance by running with both card and using display card for compute This gave my a couple more fps, but nothing to write home about, so I removed the card to keep the stress on my machine down.

I'll post the other settings I changed tonight when I get home.

Michael Weathersby

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 6:51 pm

I have a gtx 780 superclocked and get about 29 fps in BMCC real time play back. I look forward to the day where I get a second one of those cards

sean mclennan

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Michael Weathersby wrote:I have a gtx 780 superclocked and get about 29 fps in BMCC real time play back. I look forward to the day where I get a second one of those cards

With or without NR? How many nodes?

Will Tejeda

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. For a second there I thought no one else was using this card.

Anyhow, I ordered yesterday and got the card in the mail this morning (Love Amazon Prime :D, though not happy about my state starting to charge sales tax through amazon now ... smh )

I ran some quick tests to make sure everything was working right and noticed that Resolve was under-performing for me with this card ...

Even though the fps counter says its playing back realtime, i notice a slight stutter as if its dropping a frame or two. which is really annoying.

I tested with Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Blender and the card seemed to perform well.

I was able to import some bmcc raw files into premiere natively and get realtime playback with the mercury engine, but when i tried the same clips in resolve i wasnt as lucky.

All my resolve settings seems to be fine (display for compute, optimize for playback , etc ) yet playback is not optimal...

My pc specs :

AMD fx8350 4.0ghz (8-core)
12gb Ram
2TB 7200rpm hdd

At first I assumed it was my hard drive slowing things down, but remembered that on my old 6950/70 Crossfire setup I was getting real time playback with what seems like an infinite number of nodes...

And the fact that my Premiere Pro CC plays back the cDNG files realtime without a hick up also rules that out ...

Any thoughts?
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Will Tejeda

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 10:34 pm

Noise reduction is a power hungry beast, so I have realistic expectations as far as what I'd be able to do on that front (probably around 15fps with my system ) but Not being able to grade in realtime is a no-no
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 11:10 pm

One thought would be, as per the config guide, that AMD CPU's are not supported by Resolve.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Will Tejeda

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 11:25 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:One thought would be, as per the config guide, that AMD CPU's are not supported by Resolve.

That could be it... but It wouldnt explain why I was getting better performance with the same setting with a lesser gpu config
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Will Tejeda

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 12:04 am

Hey Sean, Are you still on the 327 version of the driver?

I'm on the latest one right now and after reading a couple other posts that could be the issue, I'll try installing the latest Cuda Toolkit for the updated cuda drive and see if that helps
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Will Tejeda

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 7:10 am

Update:

So after a couple hours of troubleshooting and testing here are my findings:

I tried downgrading to v327 of the nvidia driver and my cinebench readings dropped from an average (tried multiple times) of 80fps on the 331.82 driver to 70fps with this version 327.23,

then I tried installed the most recent cuda toolkite (which actually turns out to be v320 of the driver ) ... and surprise... surprise ... I dropped a couple more frames ...

As a last resort I updated to the most recent beta version of the driver and installed the last release of Resolve 10 (v10.0.2 released on 12-5-2013) and now I'm at a whopping 89fps average on cinebench :D

So I went into resolve and seems like everthing is working fine now , which is great .

I'll do some more testing tomorrow and download some reference raw files from different mediums and see how this thing holds up with my setup,.

Hopefully I'll be somewhere decently close to Seans setup
Attachments
GTX770-SC-4GB [ driver 331.93beta ] 89.23fps.JPG
testing after last driver update and after i installed resolve 10.0.2
GTX770-SC-4GB [ driver 331.93beta ] 89.23fps.JPG (105.29 KiB) Viewed 5308 times
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

sean mclennan

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 6:10 am

These are my results...

As for Resolve...I re-ran my NR playback test since updating to 10.0.2. I'm now getting real time payback with some mild NR applied to my test clip...only just.

As you can see, I only have two little green dots...those drop to none at some point, then come back to 1 or 2.

This obviously wouldn't be my expected performance with a timeline full of clips, but it is better performance than I had with 10.0.0.

Good job Resolve Team! :mrgreen:

BTW, I'm running Nvidia 331.65 driver.

Will Tejeda

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 4:56 am

Thanks for that, Sean !

After doing some more testing , more thorough, I've noticed I'm still getting a bit less performance with my gtx in resolve than my with my old crossfire setup.

I'm holding off sending it back til i put it through its paces on a project this week, but so far it's not looking good.

It's not letting me playback bmcc 2.5k in realtime where as before i could play back with multiple nodes (no nr) and get realtime

I'm only able to play back 4k red mx files realtime at quarter (good) resolution

I'm not sure if maybe I just got a faulty unit or if maybe some setup bug on my end,

I was gettin 89fps pretty constent on cinebench and all of a sudden it's dropped 84 , maybe this issue is whats attributing to the issue
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Margus Voll

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 8:51 am

Have you checked if you system can feed GPU with proper power?

Also drive speed may affect it a bit.

I have seen on rendering when i render to to faster array i get 10 fps speed up effect so to say.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

sean mclennan

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 4:16 pm

Well I would think since he was running two cards in the machine before, that he's good to run the one card now, but yes...you need to ensure you have sufficient/good power for your GFX card.

i don't know what to add....mine is bought, stuck in the machine, download latest driver, done. No OC, no tweaking, no customization. It's right out of the box.

Your HD could be a bottleneck, but since you were playing back RAW in realtime before, it shouldn't be.

Margus Voll

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 4:26 pm

8 pin cable correct pin setup is also very important.

sometimes it is overlooked.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Will Tejeda

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 6:36 pm

My thoughts exactly Sean, if the hdd was the bottleneck it would have shown before. And I'd be ok with that. but it wasnt .. If anything, the hdd should be more of an issue in premiere/ae due to the cache system.....but even that is working fine.

I will take another look at the 8 pin cable, I'm pretty sure it plugged in ok , but i'll double check to make sure it's not faulty.

Thanks again for the help/opinions guys
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Adam Simmons

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 7:03 pm

I'd be surprised if it was the 8 pin cable as they are designed to only fit one way and should already be cabled up correctly by the PSU manufacturer. If it wasn't pinned up correctly then the card shouldn't work
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Will Tejeda

PostWed Dec 18, 2013 12:58 am

So I've been playing around with the project settings config and after resetting everything and making sure that things were optimized for playback, I'm now getting realtime playback of 2.5k cDNG, which is great

r3d are still only good at 1/4good, but even they have improved a bit.

Seems like resolve is VERY picky with the way certain project settings work.

I think I might have had things set to "optimize for sharper" selected before.

I have a couple projects pending for this coming week , so I'll test further.

I think I might still potentially send it back within the grace period and upgrade it to a 780ti or r9 290x, just because I'd have that option... but I'm glad I think things should work out fine now
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

DavidCox

PostSun Dec 22, 2013 6:29 pm

A blackmagic utility (similar to disk speed) that displayed system topology and relative benchmarks would be very helpful.

I can't get cinebench to do an open gl test on my secondary (rendering) gpu, so I'm not sure if the results are useful.

I do get real time BMD raw playback (30 fps) with a few standard nodes (lut, color, slight noise reduction, not temporal)

I have a k4000 GUI and titan rendering gpu, hp z820 dual Xeon 2.65, 128 ram, 8 drive array.

I just upgraded both resolve and gtx drivers and saw improved performance, but I supposed I expected a bit more.
Attachments
test2.jpg
test2.jpg (76.74 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
test1.jpg
test1.jpg (82.15 KiB) Viewed 5061 times

Will Tejeda

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 3:34 am

DavidCox wrote:A blackmagic utility (similar to disk speed) that displayed system topology and relative benchmarks would be very helpful.

I can't get cinebench to do an open gl test on my secondary (rendering) gpu, so I'm not sure if the results are useful.

I do get real time BMD raw playback (30 fps) with a few standard nodes (lut, color, slight noise reduction, not temporal)

I have a k4000 GUI and titan rendering gpu, hp z820 dual Xeon 2.65, 128 ram, 8 drive array.

I just upgraded both resolve and gtx drivers and saw improved performance, but I supposed I expected a bit more.

Those are some pretty impressive specs, especially as far as cpu is concerned,

How does it handle r3d 5k?
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

DavidCox

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 1:42 pm

All of the 5k stuff I've graded originated from a scarlet at 12 or 14 fps (I don't remember). The footage was part of a much larger composition in AE.

I don't remember the specifics of the performance, but it was prior to the 10.x.x versions of resolve.

I'm new to resolve, I'm primarily an editor/shooter. I got a BMCC with resolve and started using it then. I'm slowly learning it in-between jobs.

It's somewhat clunky with a mouse, I'm sure a control surface would help.

Return to Post Production