Lightroom Clarity / Local Contrast Adjustment

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

chrisbrearley

Lightroom Clarity / Local Contrast Adjustment

PostWed Dec 18, 2013 11:48 am

I'm trying to re-create the look that using the Clarity slider in Photoshop Lightroom gives, if anyone here has used it then you'll know just how awesome it is.

From what I have gathered it appears to apply contrast in the midtones around whatever contrasting edges you have in your scene. From doing some Googling, this appears to be known in the photography world as Local Contrast adjustment. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... cement.htm

One way to recreate it is to create a blurred matte of any contrasting edges in your scene and apply a curve through this matte. This matte can be created by blurring the scene and then subtracting this from the original image. (See attachment). This gives me a luminance matte but can anyone think of using this to apply my curve through? Or is there another to recreate this effect that I'm missing?

Ideally, Blackmagic will just give us a Clarity slider in the next update :)
Attachments
edges.jpg
edges.jpg (90.45 KiB) Viewed 5230 times

gantproductions

Re: Lightroom Clarity / Local Contrast Adjustment

PostThu Jun 05, 2014 2:28 pm

Hey Chris,

I'm a HUGE lightroom user. Any chance you can provide a more step by step explanation of how you set up this process and these nodes? I would absolutely love to recreate this lightroom clarity!

chrisbrearley

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 11:13 pm

Unfortunately I never quite figured out how to get this working properly. I'm going to have another stab at it when I get some free time.

Again, I'd like to suggest that BM bring something like the clarity feature to Resolve. The way it adds contrast and brings extra depth to the scene is unlike any other grading tool I have seen before.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 5:56 am

I saw a similar tool mapped in the BM resolve panel (the big one).. I did not see it in the GUI unfortunately...

Let me think about it...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

waltervolpatto

PostThu Nov 27, 2014 6:59 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43nbz7cdw4tewaq/contrast.png?dl=0

node 3 is nil
node 1 does the blur
layer mixer setup for subtraction

node 4 is the b1tch: the idea is to get the rgb info and generate an alpha that match. Is a luminance key at the moment but if you have a better idea...

Node 5 does the curve adjustment (and the strength of the key) Y only so you do not introduce color shifts...

How that work for you? (yes, that's me...)
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

BenjaminLebeau

PostMon Dec 01, 2014 6:07 am

chrisbrearley wrote:Unfortunately I never quite figured out how to get this working properly. I'm going to have another stab at it when I get some free time.

Again, I'd like to suggest that BM bring something like the clarity feature to Resolve. The way it adds contrast and brings extra depth to the scene is unlike any other grading tool I have seen before.

It's already in Resolve 11, it's called "Midtone Detail". You can access it under the raw panel and also under the color match panel.
Benjamin Lebeau
Editor/Colorist, Sandwich Video
www.sandwichvideo.com

waltervolpatto

PostMon Dec 01, 2014 3:12 pm

BenjaminLebeau wrote:
chrisbrearley wrote:Unfortunately I never quite figured out how to get this working properly. I'm going to have another stab at it when I get some free time.

It's already in Resolve 11, it's called "Midtone Detail". You can access it under the raw panel and also under the color match panel.

Yes I notice that, but it was a good exercise nonetheless.

chrisbrearley

PostMon Dec 01, 2014 4:27 pm

BenjaminLebeau wrote:

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'd never even looked at them controls.

Also thanks for your efforts, Walt. As good a solution as yours was, a quick slide of the midtone control is much simpler than creating that node tree every time ;)

Return to Post Production