DA VINCI VS PHOTOSHOP+LIGHTROOM SOLUTION

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Francesco Bollorino

DA VINCI VS PHOTOSHOP+LIGHTROOM SOLUTION

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 11:30 am

Ihave recently recieved my brand new BMPCC and as it's possible to recorrd in raw I'm thinking on the right solution for grading.
I see DaVinci powerfull but all thean intuitive for e semiprofessional like me so I'm thinking on the right solution to find a more simple way to grade my cuts.
I have thought on this solution and I'd like to know your opinion about.. here the steps:
a) open the video with PS
b) choise a frame and save it as jpg
c) open this jpg under LR
d) make all the correction I like
e) save the settings
f) open the video with LR
g) apply the setting to video
h) save the video with new grading

Which is your opinion about?
Francesco Bollorino
Editor of Psychiatry on line Italia
Thematic Channel on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1

adamroberts

Re: DA VINCI VS PHOTOSHOP+LIGHTROOM SOLUTION

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 1:01 pm

You are in the same boat as many new users to RAW work flows and this subject comes up a lot. If you do a search there are many options discussed. :-)

First off, no disrespect, don't confuse colour correcting and applying a "look" as grading. Grading is so much more than that. It's an art form in itself. It involves leading the viewers through the scene and enhancing the story telling process. This is where Resolve really shines and where the talents and skill of a good colourist come in. Learning to use the tools will open up many more creative options it bringing your footage to life but it takes time understand and years to master.

I have huge respect for colourists as they can really make a story come alive.

But back to your needs. You are looking for a simple way of colour correcting your footage and applying a "look". This can be done in many ways. Most NLEs offer great tools to do so but don't support Cinema DNGs.

If you have Lightroom why not simply import the DNG sequence into LR like you would import stills. Colour correct a single frame and apply those settings to all the images in the sequence. You then export the images sequence as TIFF or JPEG and import the sequence into your NLE.

If you have After Effects you could simple import the sequence directly into AE, process it with CameraRAW then work on your look there.

Francesco Bollorino

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 1:25 pm

adamroberts wrote:You are in the same boat as many new users to RAW work flows and this subject comes up a lot. If you do a search there are many options discussed. :-)

First off, no disrespect, don't confuse colour correcting and applying a "look" as grading. Grading is so much more than that. It's an art form in itself. It involves leading the viewers through the scene and enhancing the story telling process. This is where Resolve really shines and where the talents and skill of a good colourist come in. Learning to use the tools will open up many more creative options it bringing your footage to life but it takes time understand and years to master.

I have huge respect for colourists as they can really make a story come alive.

But back to your needs. You are looking for a simple way of colour correcting your footage and applying a "look". This can be done in many ways. Most NLEs offer great tools to do so but don't support Cinema DNGs.

If you have Lightroom why not simply import the DNG sequence into LR like you would import stills. Colour correct a single frame and apply those settings to all the images in the sequence. You then export the images sequence as TIFF or JPEG and import the sequence into your NLE.

If you have After Effects you could simple import the sequence directly into AE, process it with CameraRAW then work on your look there.

Ok Thank you.. but assuming to record in PRORES which is the best solution?
I have seen that if you use LR for video the corrections are less then if you use LR for Jpg so I do think it's better to grade or color correct the jpg and after use this setting to grade or color correct the video
do you agree?
Francesco Bollorino

Francesco Bollorino

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 1:27 pm

PS I perfectly know thta grading is a art and I do think that it MUST be done by professionals BUT when you work on your footages a color correction is often needed it's not garde but a good help to final sesult
Francesco Bollorino

adamroberts

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Francesco Bollorino wrote:Ok Thank you.. but assuming to record in PRORES which is the best solution?
I have seen that if you use LR for video the corrections are less then if you use LR for Jpg so I do think it's better to grade or color correct the jpg and after use this setting to grade or color correct the video
do you agree?

Why would you colour correct a ProRes file in Lightroom? What NLE (video editor) are you using? The tools in an NLE are much better suited to colour correcting video.

adamroberts

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Francesco Bollorino wrote:PS I perfectly know thta grading is a art and I do think that it MUST be done by professionals BUT when you work on your footages a color correction is often needed it's not garde but a good help to final sesult

My point was not that you must use a professional colourist but that what you are trying to do is not grading but colour correcting... :-)

Colour correcting can be done with many different tools and often the tools in your NLE are more than enough.

Francesco Bollorino

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 1:56 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote:PS I perfectly know thta grading is a art and I do think that it MUST be done by professionals BUT when you work on your footages a color correction is often needed it's not garde but a good help to final sesult

My point was not that you must use a professional colourist but that what you are trying to do is not grading but colour correcting... :-)

Colour correcting can be done with many different tools and often the tools in your NLE are more than enough.

I perfectly understand what you say BUT I dont think that the correction tools inside NLE are enought for my needs actually I use RED GIANT Mojo but I wonder if using LR is better this is the question
Francesco Bollorino

adamroberts

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 2:00 pm

Francesco Bollorino wrote:
adamroberts wrote:

I perfectly understand what you say BUT I dont think that the correction tools inside NLE are enought for my needs actually I use RED GIANT Mojo but I wonder if using LR is better this is the question

All the controls you have in Lightroom are available in FCPX and Premier Pro.
Exposure, White balance, contrast, curves, etc etc...

adamroberts

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Post an example of a before and after image that you have processed in Lightroom.

Return to Post Production