R3D Files Showing Up Black in Timeline Resolve 9

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

BobbyMarko

R3D Files Showing Up Black in Timeline Resolve 9

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 4:14 am

I've got several instances where files are showing up black in my timeline. All files are R3D files and I'm unable to figure out why. I've seen other posts where people can just restart their computers and they come back however, that is not working for me. The files are in my media pool and do show picture there but I can't seem to get them to show up in my timeline or Color space. I've attached screen shots showing the issue.

Screen Shot 2013-12-20 at 10.01.58 PM.png
Double clicking the clip from the timeline dhows the clip black, note the file name.
Screen Shot 2013-12-20 at 10.01.58 PM.png (361.13 KiB) Viewed 1897 times

Screen Shot 2013-12-20 at 10.02.18 PM.png
Double clicking the same file from the media pool however does show the picture.
Screen Shot 2013-12-20 at 10.02.18 PM.png (588.92 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
Thanks!

Bobby Marko

Computer: Mac Studio (2022)
Processor: Apple M1 Max
RAM: 32GB

Kelly Reese

Re: R3D Files Showing Up Black in Timeline Resolve 9

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 7:36 pm

It could be drive speed. I used to get black frames when playing back RED from firewire 800 or eSATA on a Mac. I wouldn't get them when playing back from an internal RAID. I never get them on Linux with fast storage. Try moving the file to a different drive space if you can and change the source folder on the media pool clip and restart the application. CPU could be another factor.

BobbyMarko

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 11:09 pm

Well Kelly, you were right again. I have the project on a Raid5 tower so I disconnected and hooked it up to my MBP Retina via Thunderbolt/FW800 adapter (no esata converter yet) just to see and imported the same xml and the files showed up! Even though I used a slower connection, the newer, more powerful CPU made all the difference.

Now I just need to export the current project from 9 so I can keep all the data to import into 10. Do I do that by just exporting the project?
Thanks!

Bobby Marko

Kelly Reese

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Good to hear it's working. The CPU does the debayer on RED.

Before updating to Resolve 10, back up your database. That will keep all your sessions safe. You could export your project for extra safety as well and that could be imported to another system, if needed. Ideally, when you update to Resolve 10, it should just upgrade your database.

It's usually a good idea, however, to not upgrade mid-project. It would probably be fine, but there's no guarantee.

BobbyMarko

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 4:38 am

Well it's interesting all the things you learn through trial and error. Looks like the CPU was not the problem after all. Looks like if you have multiple timelines in which the same footage is in both timelines and previous footage use to be in a different directory but is not any longer, Resolve sees that in a newer timeline the same clips were in a previous timeline and tries to pull from that meta data, hence from the previous directories. The problem with this method is I moved the clips from that old directory because that was for the trailer of this short film. We have since media managed the project and the clips from the film are in a new directory. So the clips that were showing up black were clips I used in the trailer, different timeline and also in a different directory and Resolve was trying to locate that old directory (which is no longer there.)

At first I tried to reconnect the clips by forcing the clip in the timeline to use the directory the clips in the media pool were located. But I saw the option to choose that was greyed out so I thought it was not possible for some reason. Hence the search for another solution. What I didn't realize was the only reason it was greyed out was because the layers on the timeline were locked. Once I unlocked the layers the option to force conform using the clips in the media pool was enabled.... wow!

Sorry for the long explanation but thought it was worth posting just in case someone else had the same problem and discovered it was not a CPU problem.

Thanks again Kelly for your help!
Thanks!

Bobby Marko

Return to Post Production