BMCC-FCPX-RESOLVE-FILMCONVERT workflow HELP

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Gabe Darvas

BMCC-FCPX-RESOLVE-FILMCONVERT workflow HELP

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Hey,

I have a BMCC 2.5k. An FCPX. A Resolve 10 and Filmconvert plugin for FCPX.

I shot a demo video lately in Prores Film mode. While shooting, on the LCD of the BMCC, I could see details in the shadows. In Resolve I have a hard work to do to pull out these details from the shadows... Anyway, when I succeed in it, then I'm ready to apply the Filmconvert plugin, and then all is f..ed up! I choose BMC Film and Video camera settings in the plugin, but all I get is a contrasty, burnt out image. While is this? Unfortunately this demo is kinda underexposed, but in Resolve I can get back the details, but after I apply the Filmconvert plugin the details are gone and all I get is contrast and washed out highlights. What am I doing wrong?
Gabe D.

Pat Inhofer

Re: BMCC-FCPX-RESOLVE-FILMCONVERT workflow HELP

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 10:25 pm

In FilmConvert, are you selecting the BMCC camera rather then leaving it at Generic?

I suspect yes, which would explain why FilmConvert is giving you that contrasty result, you're applying the contrast expansion after already having done the contrast expansion.

Set the plug-in to Generic Camera, this will remove the contrast expansion. Then just select the film you'd like to emulate and the grain you'd like to add.

Over at Mixing Light I just did a tutorial on how I did this using RED footage… except letting FilmConvert do the initial contrast expansion and I did my grading 'underneath' it to 'dial in' the look:
http://mixinglight.com/portfolio/introduction-to-filmconvert-for-openfx-part-2/

FYI - Mixing Light is a membership site but there's a 24-hour Test Drive that allows you watch that tutorial without signing up.

HTH.
Patrick Inhofer
Colorist | Owner
MixingLight.com

Return to Post Production