No S-Video or Composite Output - Intensity Shuttle USB 3

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

SpinWell

No S-Video or Composite Output - Intensity Shuttle USB 3

PostSun Dec 29, 2013 5:25 am

No S-Video Output - Intensity Shuttle USB 3

I cannot get S-Video or composite VIDEO OUTPUT jacks to work. The analog audio output jacks work. The HDMI output jack works. USB input works fine with media express and capturing works. I'm using an input of component video with analog rca audio (HD 1080i 59.94). In control panel the only "set output" choice is "All Outputs Active". Please advise!

Version: BlackMagic Desktop Video 9.8
Environment: ASUS P6X58D w Win7x64, Renesas USB 3.0 driver version 2.1.39, firmware version 4.0.2.0

Liam Kennedy

Re: No S-Video or Composite Output - Intensity Shuttle USB 3

PostSun Dec 29, 2013 9:24 pm

You will need to set the video format to something that is supported on an SD device... or perhaps there is a down-convert option (I don't think there is).
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

SpinWell

PostMon Dec 30, 2013 3:04 am

Liam,

Which video format settings? Are you referring to the BlackMagic Design Desktop Video control panel?

I've attached a screenshot of my settings in the control panel. It feels like I've tried every possible combination of these settings (including the up, down, and cross conversion settings) but I still cannot get any video from the s-video OUTPUT jack.

BlackMagic Design Desktop Video 9.8.control panel settings.20131229.JPG
BlackMagic Design Desktop Video BlackMagic Design Desktop Video 9.8 control panel
BlackMagic Design Desktop Video 9.8.control panel settings.20131229.JPG (94.98 KiB) Viewed 4650 times

p.s. Thanks for volunteering to help me out!

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Dec 30, 2013 3:43 am

Have you looked at page 15 of the manual?

HD 1080i5994 = HD format

Anything on S-Video or Composite = SD format

SO.. You will definitely need to have output processing ON and select an appropriate SD format. If that does not work... maybe try Input Processing instead.

Have you tried any of that?

And.. just so I understand this fully... are you trying to view this nice HD quality video on those SD outputs for a particular reason (like you only have access to an analog TV/Monitor)?

SpinWell

PostMon Dec 30, 2013 5:04 am

Thanks for the fast reply Liam,

Yes, I read the manual.
Yes, I've tried every possible combination of these settings (including the up, down, and cross conversion settings) but I still cannot get any video from the s-video OUTPUT jack.
Yes, I do have a reason for sending the HD input to the S-Video Output.

My reason for posting here was 1) to find out if anyone has HD input to S-Video output jack or composite output jack working, and 2) to ask for the correct configuration settings that were successful. For example, the attachment I included has 5 drop-down lists. What settings worked for you?

Then, after someone confirms it works for them with specific settings, and those settings don't work for me, maybe I could ask for steps to troubleshoot. Are there any troubleshooting steps, ways to debug or view logs, etc.?

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Dec 30, 2013 5:29 am

The solution DEFINITELY has at least something to do with those processing settings (and being ON is definitely a requirement).

Oh... and the other requirement is that you must have the video displaying within Media Express. The pass-through will not work unless you are actually either capturing or simply viewing the video within some application or other on your PC.

SpinWell

PostMon Dec 30, 2013 6:03 am

Thanks again Liam,

I appreciate your recommendations and guidance. My USB input to the PC works fine with media express and capturing works, and I do keep Media Express running while attempting to get the S-Video OUTPUT to work.

I hope you are correct in that it has "something to do with those processing settings". If someone can provide the configuration settings that they have used successfully, maybe I can get this working too.

SpinWell

PostTue Jan 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Does anyone have HD input to S-Video output jack or composite output jack working? Is it even possible?

SpinWell

PostSun May 27, 2018 3:42 pm

SpinWell wrote:Does anyone have HD input to S-Video output jack or composite output jack working? Is it even possible?

Been a few years without response, did anyone get this working yet?

Denny Smith

PostMon May 28, 2018 5:31 pm

S-Video and Composite do Not Support a HD signal. Only HD analog signal possible is component HDV format (720p/1080i). S-Video and Composite are SD signal only, that said, you can down convert HD to SD and feed these connections. This is what the BM Micro Cinema Camera does to get a Composite feed out for drone flying.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Post Production