HELP: BMPCC RAW Files Downloading from SD Help

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

RWHolt

HELP: BMPCC RAW Files Downloading from SD Help

PostSat Jan 04, 2014 5:57 pm

OK. I must be doing something wrong, or missed the memo. It's taking me 4+ hrs to download 4.5GB of RAW off my BMPCC and onto my iMac!! Using Transcend USB 3.0 card reader and SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro cards. I can pull 64GB ProRes down in an 1/16th of the time. I've heard that working direct from the card is more efficient, but, that's laggy/jumpy in Resolve. I'd appreciate any insight at all into a better way to deal with the downloading of RAW files, or a workflow that works more effectively and efficiently. Thanks.

Rob

adamroberts

Re: HELP: BMPCC RAW Files Downloading from SD Help

PostSat Jan 04, 2014 6:21 pm

It will take longer to download the DNGs than to download the ProRes files because there are many more individual files.

Have you tried using the built in SD card reader in the iMac?

I would not work off the SD card. EVER. Copy them to a fast RAID drive and make back-ups (3, one off-site).

Working off the SD card is looking for trouble. Especially if you've not even made a back-up.

RWHolt

PostSat Jan 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Adam,
Thank you. Downloaded in seconds! Don't know why I did not think of that. Feel pretty stupid. Have had that reader for other types of cards and just defaulted to it.

Thank you!!!

adamroberts

PostSat Jan 04, 2014 8:22 pm

The reader is probably connected to a USB2 port, or perhaps there is a USB2 device on the bus that is slowing it down.

Return to Post Production