Resolve vs Color

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

whatever

Resolve vs Color

PostSat Oct 13, 2012 3:09 am

Hi All,

One question, I know the Resolve can export the XML to FCP after finish the grading in Resolve, and the Resolve have to render the graded file to QT in a folder for FCP to load. Is it possible to convert the color data to FCP directly without need to render the QT files?

As I know the color can do that, without rendering the color graded files.
Many thanks.

Best
Harry
Henry Chang

Larry Sellers

Re: Resolve vs Color

PostSat Oct 13, 2012 4:34 am

I don't think FCP has the necessary tools in place to use Resolve's data if it did do that. Plus FCP doesn't use CUDA so render time would be long. And no, I have never heard of Resolve exporting something that FCP could translate.

Peter Berg

PostSat Oct 13, 2012 4:53 am

Hi Harry,

Resolve can export LUT or CDL files which can carry your color grading information over (although not all of your grading info... they can't transfer power windows, secondaries, etc).

I doubt that FCP can read those files. I think Avid can read CDL files, but I'm not sure about FCP.

-Peter

whatever

PostSat Oct 13, 2012 5:09 am

Thanks for replay.

I think I have to render the graded QT and xml for FCP loading as there is no way to transfer the color data to FCP automatically, the CDL is fine but the power window and secondaries is essential for Resolve grading, so I cannot accept those information cannot pass to FCP.

As I konw from the manual of Resolve, there are two in delivery preset, one is FCP round trip, another is sent to FCP. Which one is better to suit my following work:

1. Fcp cut locked, and transfer the xml to Resovle to grading, we use the same storage, it's shared to FCP and Resolve, the footage is Alexa Prores 4444.

2. Grading in Resolve, after finish, I output the xml to FCP and render the graded QT by using the preset in Delivery options.

3. FCP loading the xml and graded QT, do the subtitles and play out to tape.

Many thanks.
Henry Chang

Michael Phillips

PostSat Oct 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Media Composer does not read CDL values, but passes them along as part of the workflow for offline/online. It treats it the same as other types of clip based metadata such as scene, take, clip, etc. Its use is to pass those values to the conform color station to use as a starting point if needed when it is applied to the original camera master files. The only color related metadata supported today is the RMD file for Red R3D files via the AMA plug-in that uses the RED SDK.

Here is a whitepaper I wrote at the time (2007):
http://fp.avid.com/resources/whitepaper ... wp_sec.pdf

Michael
Michael Phillips
Consultant
www.linkedin.com/in/phillipsm

Andy Mees

PostSun Oct 14, 2012 11:29 am

whatever wrote:As I konw from the manual of Resolve, there are two in delivery preset, one is FCP round trip, another is sent to FCP. Which one is better to suit my following work...

Th steps you've outlined are those for the "Final Cut Pro XML Round-Trip" workflow, so that's the Delivery preset you'd want to choose.

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to Post Production