Recommended USB3 controller?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

fr0sty

Recommended USB3 controller?

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 8:08 pm

I just purchased a $200 paperweight... The seller (Adorama) did a very poor job of describing the system requirements (it just said "X56 or better", made no mention of specific chipsets being needed, etc), and the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 does not work on any of my USB 3.0 compatible computers. My laptop is an ASUS X75VD, my desktop is using a Sabertooth 990FX R2 motherboard with an AMD FX8300 processor, 12GB of RAM, and a Radeon HD 6870 GPU.

Personally, after doing some research, it seems as if this device is only compatible with a very small fraction of the hardware on the market, and given the fact that most sellers don't know their butts from a hole in the ground when it comes to computers, I don't think this product should have been released until the compatibility issues had been sorted out. But, I digress.

I'm now left trying to figure out how I can get this thing working on my hardware, as I fell very ill for about a week and missed my 14 day return window to get this thing sent back and refunded. I really wanted to send it back and pay the difference for an intensity pro, but now I gotta make this work since I don't have the money to purchase both.

I've had my eye on this card, as it uses the Resesas chipset that is so often recommended, but I've also read stories on here of people buying those cards and still not being able to get it to work. I'm just curious if anyone here can offer advice on whether this would be a good purchase or not, or if there is another card I could buy that would offer a higher chance of working? As of now, my desktop (the Asus 990fx R2 based system) sees the intensity shuttle, but only gives a black screen. I did update the drivers for the usb controller to 1.16. The laptop doesn't recognize the device at all, but does have a USB3 port on it.

Here's the card I have my eye on: ORICO PNUS3-2P Super Speed USB3.0 2 ports PCI - Express Controller Adapter Card with 4 PIN IDE/ATA Power Connector (2xUSB3.0 with Renesas Controler)

Papayin Sey

Re: Recommended USB3 controller?

PostSat Jan 11, 2014 6:03 pm

I have a working card and a very good one too. iocrest.com Syba USB 3 SY-PEX20045_NEC-RENESAS

Riekelt Goucem

Re: Recommended USB3 controller?

PostSun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 pm

I can recommend the Asus U3S6, as I can confirm it working

Return to Post Production