Database from Resolve v8 to v9?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Nikola Stefanovic

Database from Resolve v8 to v9?

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 2:58 am

Is it possible to upgrade database from resolve 8 to resolve 9 without a problems? We have scheduled upgrade this week to Mountain Lion, Resolve 9 and new Xsan. Is there any advice for doing this except backup everything?

Peter Berg

Re: Database from Resolve v8 to v9?

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 6:13 am

cross your fingers and pray....

Nikola Stefanovic

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 8:09 am

Peter Berg wrote:cross your fingers and pray....

Are you trying to be funny?

Peter Berg

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 3:17 pm

I wish... my switch from version 8 to 9 has been full of lots of problems and software bugs. To me it doesn't seem like 9 is ready yet. Still too many strange things happening with the software.. seems like it's still in Beta. Just make sure you can go back if you run into problems. And make sure you don't have any projects currently going on.

John Tissavary

PostMon Oct 15, 2012 5:00 pm

I've updated upwards of 15 different resolve systems with every new release since v5 and not had a problem with database upgrades. PostgreSQL is one of the most commonly deployed databases in the world, used in tremendously data-sensetive applications like military (what it was originally developed for), etc... If it is a release version, the database update will work. That said, backup, backup, backup. If you don't and something goes wrong you'll know who to kick in the rear:)

Regarding V9 - all apps have bugs, they never all get squashed. V9 is in use at my place and quite a few other top notch facilities I work with, and we churn out a decent amount of what I'd like to think is reasonably good work on it. I've not found anything in V9 that was a show stopper, and I would rather switch to another grading system than go back to v8 which had certain shortcomings (not all bugs) that drove me crazy on a daily basis.
John Tissavary
colorist
the post collective

Nikola Stefanovic

PostTue Oct 16, 2012 1:33 am

Thank you John. I have backup of everything but i have 3 open projects, finished but might be some changes. I will be able to load projects from v8 to v9 and continue to work?

Return to Post Production