Resolve 10 mixed frame rate issue nightmare.

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

ArtMooney

Resolve 10 mixed frame rate issue nightmare.

PostMon Jan 27, 2014 10:54 pm

OMG. Seriously? If your timeline contains mixed DF/NDF footage, Resolve will turn your project into a sync slinky on export. 2 weeks worth of color correction are now rendered completely useless because Resolve won't maintain frame rates, won't allow you to change settings after the fact and won't allow you to choose a different Mixed Frame Rate format when you import an AAF!

You have GOT to be kidding me. Is there a fix for this coming? I can't color correct this thing again. All I need this pile of sh*t to do is just export the clips with color correction - I don't need to edit, effect, convert or do anything other than COLOR CORRECT with this program. Can you guys please make the basics work in the next update????

PS - I've read the manual 3 times cover to cover, I refer to it often and my computer is flawless victory - so please save the usual go-to excuse of blaming the user.
Last edited by ArtMooney on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

ArtMooney

Re: Resolve 10 mixed frame rate issue just ruined my life.

PostMon Jan 27, 2014 11:10 pm

On one clip 4 seconds, 11 frames long Resolve has added 6 frames to the DF clips. Needless to say, this is maddening. The manual says;

When you render the timeline as individual source clips, all clips are rendered individually at their original frame rate.

The clips remain drop or non-drop and stay 29.97, but the drop shots are exported with extra frames and play back in an odd 'fast motion' so they look like old Charlie Chaplin footage.

Anyone else have this problem or a fix for it?

Scott Freeman

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 2:36 am

I love problems, I just do not love problems happening to you.

I would love to know what codec you are rendering out?
I would love to know if you are using "Reel Names" in the media pool.
I would also like to know what program created the AAF and what program are you using to view these Resolve renders?

Yes, technically in the "DELIVER" page under output activating "Individual source clips" will have the Resolve deliver renders that match the framerate of their source. I have seen issues where I have to flag progressive sources and interlaced sources to choose that render, because I have noticed that Resolve can create for example a 1080 DNxHD175i 23.976 .mxf file (i for interlaced) which is a non-standard version of DNxHD175. Avid will play back those shots (DNxHD175i) in a 29.97 1080i project as a 3:2:3:2 and not a 2:3:2:3 standard by default so this would make the Avid start on a "b" frame and not an "a" frame. So that is the only caveat that I have come across.

I want to help you!!! I would love to see the problem you are having. I want to recreate it on my end to see exactly what you are seeing. I love this stuff.
I render out drop and non-drop frame timecode out of Resolve v9 and v10 in a 29.97 1080i project from the same timeline all the time. Currently, I have exported over 10,000 individual .mxf clips for Avid online conforms. Resolve will also render out both fields by activating "Field Render" for my 29.97 1080i world.

Thank you for your time.

- scott freeman

ArtMooney

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 5:56 am

Codec; 1080 30 Progressive ProRes 422 HQ

No 'Reel Names' in Media Pool. Strictly original file names.

AAF created in Avid matching back to original 422HQ ProRes files. Exporting individual Quicktime files from Resolve with a prefix so that they can be swapped from Final Cut 7, After Effects, etc for treatment without the AAF wrapper.

I've removed Resolve from the equation and the project stays in sync in FCP7 and Avid - so my problem is definitely coming from Resolve.

I appreciate the help!

ArtMooney

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 6:31 am

'Field Rendering' on or off made no difference.

ArtMooney

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 7:30 am

Went in to 'Clip Attributes' and tried changing the drop clips to NDF - it changed the output clip to NDF but didn't solve my added frames issue. Also tried changing the clip from 29.97 to 30, still made no difference.
Last edited by ArtMooney on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArtMooney

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 7:41 am

In the Resolve timeline the clips are frame accurate. For example; one clip shows 4 seconds 5 frames in the timeline - it exports as 4 seconds 11 frames. This is killing me.

ArtMooney

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 11:26 pm

This is a disaster. There appears to be no way to get this project out of Resolve in sync.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 30, 2014 12:04 am

Have you called in and spoken with someone about this? They may be able to shed some more light on it than I could. The number for the office in your region are in the company tab on the main webpage.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Scott Freeman

PostThu Jan 30, 2014 7:25 pm

I have tried to recreate what you are seeing and on my end the render results from Resolve v10.1 match the sources exactly when I AMA using direct linking to the new Resolve Renders. I will keep at it to see if I can recreate what you are seeing. These are my results so far. I really want to help you. I love problems, I just do not love problems happening to you.

Here are the steps I did for clarity purposes:
1) In Avid v7.0.3 (Wondows OS 7 Service Pack 1) created a new 1080i 59.94 project.
2) AMA'd using direct linking to clips that are QuickTime Movies with the Video Codec ProRes 4444 and mixed framerates of 24.00, 25.00, 29.97, 30.00
3) I cut all of those QuickTime sources into the same Avid Sequence.
4) Selected the mixed framerate sequence and exported an AAF
5) Launched Resolve v10.1 and imported the AAF using the default filename linking for AAF. Resolve default configured in “Master Project Settings”> “Conform Options”>”Use Timecode:” with only activating “Embedded in the source clip”.
6) Colored the clips and In Resolve v10.1 - I went to the “DELIVER” Page> “Output”> “Render timeline as: Individual source clips”>”Render to: QuickTime”>”Output Options”> Activated “Render each clip with a unique filename”>”Add Prefix”
7) In Avid v7.0.3 - I AMA’d these new Resolve v10.1 rendered QuickTime Movies back into the Avid.

All the files rendered out of Resolve v10.1 did have the exact metadata match as all the original sources (exact match of Start Timecode, Duration, and Frames Per Second).

From what I can tell you are saying that you are not re-importing an AAF exported from Resolve.

Thank you for your time

- Scott Freeman

ArtMooney

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Scott Freeman wrote:I have tried to recreate what you are seeing and on my end the render results from Resolve v10.1 match the sources exactly when I AMA using direct linking to the new Resolve Renders. I will keep at it to see if I can recreate what you are seeing. These are my results so far. I really want to help you. I love problems, I just do not love problems happening to you.

Here are the steps I did for clarity purposes:
1) In Avid v7.0.3 (Wondows OS 7 Service Pack 1) created a new 1080i 59.94 project.
2) AMA'd using direct linking to clips that are QuickTime Movies with the Video Codec ProRes 4444 and mixed framerates of 24.00, 25.00, 29.97, 30.00
3) I cut all of those QuickTime sources into the same Avid Sequence.
4) Selected the mixed framerate sequence and exported an AAF
5) Launched Resolve v10.1 and imported the AAF using the default filename linking for AAF. Resolve default configured in “Master Project Settings”> “Conform Options”>”Use Timecode:” with only activating “Embedded in the source clip”.
6) Colored the clips and In Resolve v10.1 - I went to the “DELIVER” Page> “Output”> “Render timeline as: Individual source clips”>”Render to: QuickTime”>”Output Options”> Activated “Render each clip with a unique filename”>”Add Prefix”
7) In Avid v7.0.3 - I AMA’d these new Resolve v10.1 rendered QuickTime Movies back into the Avid.

All the files rendered out of Resolve v10.1 did have the exact metadata match as all the original sources (exact match of Start Timecode, Duration, and Frames Per Second).

From what I can tell you are saying that you are not re-importing an AAF exported from Resolve.

Thank you for your time

- Scott Freeman

I am exporting QT's via the 'Export to Final Cut' preset with file name prefix so that the footage can be effected elsewhere. Returning to Avid or an AAF accurately doesn't help me in After Effects. Resolve is exporting the NDF clips perfectly, but the DF clips are having 3 frame handles added on either end and some unwanted pulldown applied to the footage that's causing sync drift and Charlie Chaplin playback. It's completely bizarre. Using 422HQ 1080 29.97P and not applying any change other than color correction. The QT metadata shows all of the metadata as correct only the length of the drop fame clips coming out of Resolve are all 6 frames longer than they should be and totally f'd. I have spent days trying every variance, every work around, every piece of internet advice and nothing will get Resolve to accurately export a sequence with mixed Drop/Non-drop footage. If you Google the issue, it seems to be an ongoing problem with Resolve that clearly has not been dealt with.

Resolve has held my project up for nearly 3 months now. Every time you guys fix a problem or I find a workaround - a new one pops up. And they're not just nuisance problems, they're crippling.

Here's a 'similar but different' example of what I'm talking about;
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/2123

ArtMooney

PostTue Feb 04, 2014 8:56 am

Even re-exporting the master clips as non-drop then replacing them in Resolve won't fix the problem. Regardless if the clip is drop or non-drop, if the original AAF says it's drop, that's how it's treated. In the godforsaken Resolve editing timeline the drop frame clip shows as 4 seconds 5 frames, but it exports 4 seconds 11 no matter what you change or where you change it.

There appears to be no way for Resolve to accurately handle mixed Drop/Non-Drop footage. File this under 'things that would be nice to know on PAGE 1'. If this is true I'm going to have to re-conform half my footage, make a new AAF, toss my sound mix and start over and then go back to frame one on the color correction.

Is this really happening?

ArtMooney

Re: Resolve 10 mixed frame rate issue nightmare.

PostTue Feb 04, 2014 9:31 am

It's actually more aggressively destructive depending on clip length. 6 added frames appears to be the minimum. The
"When you render the timeline as individual source clips, all clips are rendered individually at their original frame rate."
setting is adding whole seconds to longer clip lengths and mutilating payback when exporting individual QT files.

This is insane.

Return to Post Production